chapter one - the beginning

a/n: alright this is my first vampire book I think but let's just get straight into it.

——

everyone would think after you finish business school then jobs will just come rushing in. chances are that they might come if you had done an internship before. however she hadn't done any internships and the results had her home bound months after she graduated.

somehow for the new year, amelia's aunt had put in a word with a friend of hers who apparently had a son that owned a business thus bringing an end to her occupational drought.

"it's a small business" she remembered her aunt christina mentioning on the phone moments before sending her the address. reading the address though, she never quite remembered any small buildings in that area.

the twenty-four year old maiden brushed her blonde hair backwards and lost herself in thought as she watched rows form in her hair from the bristles.

aunt christina said it was an investment company and that she didn't have to work there permanently, but at least until she truly found out where she wanted to work.

her fingers danced over the buttons of her long sleeved striped white and red top then she pulled up her red pencil skirt.

light brown eyes like pinewood made four with those of her reflection as she applied a slightly tinted gloss to her lips then rubbed them together.

regardless of her aunt putting in a word for her sake, she still wanted- no needed to reassure them that they were making the right choice by hiring her.

'i needed my image to reek of professionalism' was the only thought that swallowed her whole, and once she was pleased enough with her reflection, she left.

amelia watched buildings and vehicles zoom by, watched herds of people bustle to work, watched store owners rush to open their stores as her fingers fidgeted on the zipper of her handbag.

in her ears, her earphones were drowning away the days bustle with meditation podcasts; earlier while her sunk my body into the tub, she listened to interview questions and suitable answers.

though she told the cab driver the address as soon as she got in, amelia couldn't help but wonder if he remembered. driving so nonchalantly with one hand out the window and his other barely holding the staring wheel. his fingers drummed to whatever was playing on the radio.

if he were driving fast, she would have been traumatized but the traffic had them crawling on the asphalt.

'should i get out and walk? it's not that far'

she banished the thought as she glanced at the sun, definitely not.

realizing they were edging closer to the area, her eyes began to focus on almost everything that passed and her head spun with overwhelming 'what if's'.

finally she closed her eyes, focusing on the sounds from her earphones as she breathed in and out.

slowly, but blunt.

her exhales were slightly chopped and she focused on correcting them. eventually her inhales matched her exhales; her shoulders fell in relief.

moments later the vehicle stopped and amelia opened her eyes.

at first she wasn't concerned about where they stopped, instead about why.

when her gaze finally flickered to the sign in-front of the skyscraper, her jaw slightly fell and her eyes widened.

this wasn't a small business at all.