chapter six - an absent king

the next friday, the king was nowhere to be seen and everyone worried dearly. news soon circulated by a broadcasted email and amelia's eyebrows furrowed when the email had popped up over the document she was analyzing.

from h. cavill

she could almost hear everyone's breath get caught in the air; maybe the sound was so distinct because her own small gasp had joined the chorus.

reading it caused a wave of relief to wash over all the plebeians that had gotten the email. Apparently Mr. Cavil had taken yet another business trip within the week, this time one to Alaska.

he was supposed to be back before lunch but now there was a change of plans.

Mr. cavill had been stuck in Alaska due to a sudden change in weather and had no idea of when the snow storm would be letting up so he apologized.

Though she should've been relieved that their beloved king was all well, amelia couldn't help but to feel a bit in the gutters due to his absence.

he was the reliever that made the weeks seems little more bearable - a little more endurable.

The soft smiles he would pass to the his subordinates that flanked him each Friday and the glances she stole of his structure during those moments were what she looked forward to at the end of each week.

she had been waiting from the Friday before to see him again and now she would have to wait yet again.

She hadn't only wanted to because of her crush on her superior, no, she also had a question. She had final remembered the question she had from a month before.

A simple question but every time her piney eyes met his cold steely ones, her brain would stutter on thoughts and her tongue would retreat to the back of her throat.

' you can wait until next week'

reminding herself to endure until next week, she pushed up her tiny rectangular glasses on her nose bridge then 'x'ed out of the email.

there was a silent whisper of chaos in the air and without the pacifier of a king present, she could hear it now.

it was unexplainable but all of sudden, it felt like the first day again. she felt alienated and as if her cubicle was miles off from everyone else's.

Frustrated, she brought her hand to her high ponytail and loosened it.

why did it matter so much if she wouldn't see him today? she wouldn't normally see him anyways so why did it matter now?

it frustrated her and made her edgy.

she was about to return to the file she had been analyzing before when her office phone rang. a client was coming up they had said preparing her.

it wasn't his first time there but instead the first time where she would be dealing with him.

soon she saw him, being led in by one of the assistants.

a balding old man in a plaid button up top and a jeans pants. he had beady dark eyes and wore a rough look on his face.

coming closer she could smell that he was no stranger to cigarettes and alcohol - a deadly concoction that made her almost nauseous.

this would definitely take long and she could sense it.