chapter eight - long live the king

amelia's eyes welled up as she walked down the street with man that had held her captive and with each passing second and each step they took away from where she lived, she thought of how to escape.

mentally she cursed herself for not being able to react while they were in the bar where people could help her.

now at ten pm it was quite surprising that the street was as empty as it would usually be at midnight.

"you know, i never thought a woman would bring me to my wits' end. but you've sure done it" he said slightly panting from walking so quickly to a dark minibus that was parked about fifteen blocks away from them.

"my business was going to be it you know. we just needed a few more dollars to jumpstart ourselves. sure we never got up back after that recession but my son was going to be a multimillionaire. I spent my whole life making this. making our name" he continued to lament, grip tightening on her shoulder and a tear slipped from her eyes.

would his grip tighten?

he noticed and laughed dryly.

"oh don't cry now. you'll mess up your makeup. my son wouldn't like that at all" he chuckled and when they were three blocks away from the vehicle, the soft purr of a engine came from behind them.

please stop, please help me

she prayed as she discreetly flailed her fingers that were towards the road, would they see her sign?

"walk faster" mr. derret grumbled as the vehicle slowed beside them. soon the purr was gone and the first thought that came to Amelia's mind was that it had turned off.

their quickened pace caused her glasses to crash to the ground, immediately shattering and she stepped over it.

a choked sob echoed in her throat and she bit her bottom lip.

"almost there princess" he said almost laughing at her hope being crushed.

" ms. winters" a deep voice vibrated through the air and her breath caught as her hope lifted again.

"don't stop walk-"

"amelia" the person said again, this time his voice being accompanied by a soft grasp on her wrist. seeing the pale large hand and dark painted nails, her stomach went in knots.

he walked around them and stood in front of them, blocking their path.

immediately her watery eyes met a face she never expected. light grey concerned eyes, a slight smile on his full pale lips and now supporting a heavily stubbled face; mr. cavill stood before her.

internally she praised him, her lips trembled with the threat to proclaim them aloud.

he was dressed in a jeans, two blue and white T-shirts doubled and a black jacket. his eyes were so familiar and vibrant - almost fluorescent.

the night seemed to still right there and the moon's lit dimmed significantly.

though she was scared before, she was even more scared when she realised how mr. cavill's smile widened when he glanced from her teary eyes to the man that held her captive.

"mr. derret! i wasn't aware that you knew my employee and i haven't seen a gun like that in ages. do tell, is it up for auctioning?" releasing his grasp from amelia's hand as he patted mr. derret's back.

"get your f-" mr. derret began to swear but using his other hand, mr. cavill rose his hand to mr. derett's face to direct his line of vision to his. it was almost as if he caressed his face.

his dark nails moved from mr. derett's cheek and fell back to his side.

"okay" the potential murderer almost whispers, dazed and oddly obedient.

his compliance to speak with mr. cavill frightened her and for a second she wondered if it was the alcohol causing her to hallucinate.

mr. cavill craned his neck to speak to the shorter man and in the dark it almost seemed like he was speaking to his neck.

of course, it was a distortion by the alcohol.

a few minutes after he helped a weak looking mr. derret to his vehicle with a hefty load of cash.

almost as if in a trance, mr. derret drove away without glancing back.

mr. cavill strolled back to her, gun hanging on his finger, smug grin on his reddened lips.

he offered her a ride home and absentmindedly she agreed.

she hadn't even the time to notice what type of car it was, for as soon as she had entered, they were parked outside of her apartment.

the driver said nothing and mr. cavill silently watched her as he awaited the collapse of her countenance.

finally she did.

being a drunk mess and not being able to comprehend what had happened, she broke down and sobbed sourly and he hummed as he pulled her to his shoulder.

her face fell in the crook of his neck and for a moment he tensed, wondering if she knew what she was insinuating.

the sounds of her sobs and the soft choral of a hymn from the speakers filled the air.

he whispered the line of a hymn

" By His look, prepares to flee.
Careless sinner, what will then become of thee?"

a/n: guys please tell me what you think of this.  Thanks for reading so far. T^T