6. s t r i c t l y b u s i n e s s

One mention of "Emma", and I'm doomed.

"I need to use the restroom." I got up instantly, clumsily knocking onto the table and stubbing my toe. I winced, trying to hide the pain that shot
up. I highly doubted I was being very refined, like Zara would have been.

Nick rose a little too. "Are you okay?"

"What? I—" I glanced back at Gabrielle, who was thoughtfully seated two tables away. She hadn't noticed me yet, but it was only a matter of time. "I need to use the restroom," I repeated.

Once I made my getaway, I dialed Cleo quickly. It was one of the moments when I whispered, pick up, pick up...

"Relax. I'm walking in right now." She said right away.

"Thank god." I heaved a sigh of relief, leaning against the door of my bathroom stall. "Just drag him away with you. My cover is about to be blown."

"Don't need to tell me twice, hun." With that, Cleo hung up.

I waited for a solid ten minutes before I exited again. I stood over the sink, staring at my reflection.

Why was this so hard to do?

I mean, I thought it was just an acting job.

However, it seemed more than that, and I couldn't decipher why.

And if my cover had been blown today, how Nicholas would have felt if he found out that I had been lying this whole time round?

Imagine losing your ability to recognize faces. And you have no choice but to trust others to tell you who each person is. But if they betray that trust like that...

I don't think he could trust anyone easily, ever again.

Moreover, his condition was not something we should have been toying with. Imagine the hurt he'd feel if he found out what we had done...

I gripped my hands on the edge of the sink as I recalled the little things I was starting to pick up. Nicholas's hands would tremble ever so slightly as others walked by. He kept his head lower than usual so he wouldn't have to see eye to eye, even though I knew he was the sort to hold his head up high. And he always looked so confused, so unsure, so lost.

"What cover is about to be blown?" Came a familiar voice from around the corner. Gabrielle stalked to the sink beside mine, wearing a smirk, as if she was observing her prey.

"Seriously? You waited that long for me just to say that?" I spun around. I knew she would be more than happy to unravel something that could be used as a hold over me. Luckily, I doubted that would ever be the case.

She gave me a once-over, then raised one tattooed eyebrow. "Nice dress. Didn't think it would be in your capacity to buy something like that, or come to this restaurant, even."

"Yes, I know my dress is cute. Wish I could say the same to yours." I chewed the bottom of my lip mockingly.

Gabrielle chuckled. "Ah, senorita. I'll find out the real reason why you're here. I have been in and out of this restaurant plenty of times to know that you don't belong here. You're just not of the right class."

I was already on my way out of the door, mid-speech.

"You bought your way into the school. You don't get to judge."

***

The moment I reached the penthouse, I plopped onto the couch.

I hadn't had much time to sort my stuff out properly yet, and appreciate how luxurious the place was. I wanted to indulge in it fully, but at the same time, a part of it felt foreign.