12. y o u r p l a c e

I wished I could confide in Nick.

I watched him in his study. He had a hand to prop his head up as the other clicked away furiously with the mouse. He was doing some business thing, as it seemed.

With all the genuine emotions he'd been showing lately, it was easy to forget his position. That man was probably the most likely to succeed, potential Forbes list-topper kind of guy. He was very much at the top of the industry, following in his parent's footsteps. Even though he was the same age as me, it was clear he had high stakes and much influence in the company.

His brows were creased as he focused on the task at hand. He looked much more mature when he was at work like that. And I knew he could achieve things way beyond his years.

"I didn't notice you were there." He said when he tore his eyes away from the screen. Nick moved over to me. "Is everything alright?"

I nodded.

I had come out of the shower and was wearing the smallest button-down shirt Nick could find. It was fashioned into a short T-shirt dress on me.

I saw his eyes glaze over it a little, and a certain look overcame him. He then tore away, replying quickly.

"G—good." He said warmly. "You should go get some rest. I already set out the sheets on the bed in my room upstairs. It's right next to where the shower was. Go sleep there, I'll be in the guest room right next door."

I could take the guest room, but no, it was selfish of me, but I felt like being in his room, at least once this time. In fact, I felt like being more intrusive than that.

"I can't sleep." I told him honestly.

"Insomnia? I have that too."

Truthfully, I was just afraid of the nightmares that would come once I shut my eyes. I didn't want to see him plastered all over.

"What are you doing?" I headed into the study and looked at the monitor.

Maybe it wasn't my place to invite myself in like that. But it was okay, since he thought I was Zara — his ex — anyway, right? Zara probably did much more than this.

It was unfair for me to think of it this way, but I felt infuriated at the thought of her at his house too.

"Medi-K just released a new healthcare robot equipped with Deep-Learning consciousness systems, capable of harnessing empathy and care. It was one of the things Hestia was looking to pilot and patent as well, so the investors are not happy." He frowned, crossing his arms.

Nick was wearing a simple white shirt that hugged close to his chest. Even in his casual attire, he was incredibly smart-looking as he spoke all business-y like that. I had to try to pretend that I was on par with that kind of business sense.

"I think it would really help if you could invest more in medical research conducted by doctors. I think a lot of them flock to practice, not so much idea generation. It's a real waste of potential."

"Aptly said. That's why the university exchange means a lot to me too. I'm hoping the students there can work with me, and it'll be a great opportunity to build connections with budding potential."

Me. He was talking about me! I screamed in my head silently.

"Are you still thinking about that girl you met today? What's her name again?"

"Emma." His face lit up, and I realized that I loved the way he said my name.

My real name.