23. m a s q u e r a d e

woooo something major happens here :) scroll to know what i mean xox

"Apparently it's a masquerade party." Cleo said as we descended the spiral stairwell towards the main hall. "Smart move. If everyone's wearing a mask and a name tag, Nick would be better able to hide his inability to recognize faces."

I strapped on my own mask, a red one to match the dress I was wearing. If it could be really considered a dress. Cleo was grinning from ear to ear when she pulled this one out from the shopping bags of clothes she had shipped over that time.

"This one's my personal favorite. I was going to get it for myself, but there was only one piece in the world, and I made a sacrifice. Be grateful."

Well, I wasn't. I pulled down the edge of the maroon dress, and then pulled up the hem. At this, Cleo smacked my shoulder.

"Hey, quit that. You're ruining a Sojáevete designer dress."

"It's skimpy." I protested.

"Yeah, perfect for you. You look stunning in it."

Cleo was one to talk. The girl could look classy in anything she wanted, and her Eschel white masterpiece was plain perfection. She was whisked away by the crowds of people.

"If you like the dress, you should be the one wearing it." I called after her.

"I don't have the curves!" She practically yelled as she vanished into the masses. I cringed a little at our loud banter. Cleo fit in easily here, I could tell from the looks she was getting that everyone recognized her, the young but talented secretary of the Sheldons. After years of communicating with the major shareholders, she had established enough connections with them. On the other hand, I was a lost sheep.

Not for very long. As if we were like poles of magnets, my gaze happened to be attracted to across the room, where I happened to find him.

It was hard to stay mad at him. Especially when he looked ridiculously breathtaking when dressed like that.

Nicholas Sheldon was dressed in a suit and tie. This wasn't the first time I've seen him in formal wear, but it was the first time I had seen him like that since I've discovered how much I liked him.

The chandelier gleamed off his features, capturing him like a portrait.

Our eyes met, and he was looking at me as he strapped on his own mask.

Before I had anymore time to fret about how to stay angry when he looked so good, a guy had come up to me. He extended a hand.

"Good evening. I'm Luko Black, and you are..?"

"Zara Abigail." I returned, tossing my hair over my shoulder on purpose. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Nick heading towards me, then stopping at the sight of the two of us talking.

"Well, Zara, doit-on danser? Shall we —"

"Dance?" I finished for him. "That'll be perfect."

And so I made it a point to dance in front of Nicholas with the new boy. It was an awfully shallow move, but I didn't plan on caring. I was curious, could Nick really be jealous about that?

From the look in his eyes, that seemed to be the case. Nick looked like he wanted to make Luko disappear then and there. Poor him.

But that the song changed, and soon people started swapping partners. I looked around in confusion. The only dance I had ever been to was my high school's lame-ass prom, and even then I had spent most of time drinking than on the floor socializing.