26. r u n a w a y

Nicholas really held up his end of the deal and healed as fast as he could.

He was extremely obedient when undergoing treatment, a major reversal from his stubbornness when seeking treatment from his prosopagnosia in the past. I would visit him often and reward him with kisses. We spent as much time together as we possibly could. I would stay in the ward and fall asleep on his shoulder when binge-watching Netflix together. I would bring him lunches, and laugh at his attempts to pretend that my food was good. Even I knew that I was a horrible chef.

The funeral was the worst part of the week. Nicole had wanted to keep it small, so we bid our goodbyes to Jonathan Sheldon. In the dark hall, I held Nick close to me. He was a never a person to cry, but he let go for once. He let himself be vulnerable, and I was relieved that I could share some of his burden. 

Finally, he could be discharged. Obviously, I was still very concerned about his health. Miracle or not, we were talking about a patient who was shot in the heart here. Who would have thought that the Scarlet Plague could come to be of great help someday?

But Nick was doing well, he would even jump around the room to prove his point. He was probably supposed to stay for more observation, but I suspected he pulled some strings to get discharged early.

After all, he was going to be their future boss.

Now that Jonathan was gone, Nicholas was next in line for the "throne". Being his girlfriend kind of made me forget that he was the company's "prince" after all.

Anyway, Nick pushed the work back until we returned from the trip. He shrugged everything off, telling everyone that nothing else would take precedence. It brought me so much happiness to think that this was happening.

I decided to let him spoil me, at least for the week. We were flying out in the Sheldons' private jet, but when I got onto the plane, Nick wasn't there.

Finally he appeared, sporting a pilot uniform. I had to admit that he looked incredibly charming in that get-up. The captain's hat, tie, and even the god-damn epaulets made me want to pounce. My jaw dropped to the floor at another realization, though.

"Wait a minute. You're flying this plane?"

He winked. "Did I not mention that I had a Private Pilot License? Yes, I know how to fly a plane--"

"Oh my god, we're going to die --" I teased, pretending to climb out of the door.

He pretended to be hurt, then sighed. "Okay, fine. I'm only the co-pilot. Jeremy is the real pilot here."

"Can I sit in the cockpit?" I asked excitedly after greeting Jeremy, who was dressed similarly. Jeremy was definitely the more experienced one, though. He looked like a wise person who meant business, while Nick was just my fashion-model boy who stood there looking like a real snack.

"There's a lounge behind for you to rest in, but I mean, sure."

Too soon we had to touch down. Nick had left the decision of where to go entirely up to me, so I had chosen the beautiful Caribbean Islands. It had always been a dream of mine to visit the sunny beaches and breathtaking coastal views, so I jumped at the chance to book it.

Like I said, I was going all out this week, so I chose the most brilliant beach villa I could find. It was a work of art itself, a perfect accompaniment to the coasts.

"You have great taste." Nick said, awestruck when we had arrived. I was equally delighted when we toured the rooms hand in hand, drinking in the beautiful place.

It was evening when we had unpacked, and I headed to the couch to watch a movie. Nick unpacked fancy bottles of liquor too, which made me raise my eyebrows.