It Go Down at the Table

Lunch Period or Lunch, Period?

"Girl I'm just glad we didn't run into Hakeem anymore after this morning." Chanel said sipping in McCafe in a bottle.

"Right like, ain't no tellin' what would've happened." Infiniti said as she ate her pizza.

I was in my phone looking at Aubrey's posts on Instagram instead of listening to what they were talking about.

"Um, HELLO?" Infiniti snatched the phone from my hands. "Well, look at that."

"Infiniti give it back!" As I tried to snatch it, she flashed my screen to Chanel.

Chanel squinted at the moving phone. "Oh my God. He is packing sis."

"I'm saying!" Infiniti handed my phone back to me, with his shirtless selfie on it. "You need a piece of that tonight girl or I'm going to be upset."

"Bitch, please. What does he even want with a girl like me?" I rolled my eyes as I laid my phone down.

"Bite your tongue. You're a complete package, Zay. Why you think Hakeem and all the other guys want a piece?" Chanel said as she grabbed my hand.

"You're right. I'm the shit. But this is Drake, we're talking about. Aubrey fucking Graham. You know how many women this man has been with? I can't even begin to compete." I sighed.

"Slow up sis, you make him sound like a hoe-" Infiniti started as we heard an interruption walking towards us.

"You damn right he's a hoe." An angry Hakeem fell down in the chair across from me.

"What- 'Keem, what's with you? What the fuck happened to you this morning?" I slammed my drink down and squinted at him.

I could see the anger and fear in his eyes. "I bought you tickets to see Drake sing. Not for you to hook up with him." He gazed back into my eyes.

He gave me that 'Can We Talk, Tevin Campbell' ass feeling. "Infiniti, Chanel, can we be alone for a bit."

"Hell no, not after this morn-" Infiniti started but Chanel hit her arm. "Fine!"

They both looked at me to assure that things would be fine. I nodded my head, as they walked off.

"Look, Rosé... You know this was supposed to be you and me. What happened?" Hakeem was staring at his water bottle so hard, he had to drink from it. He couldn't even look me in the eyes.

"Hakeem, I know you've liked me for the longest, but I don't feel the same way, I thought you'd figure this out!" I tried to touch his hand, but he pulled away.

"Don't. You should've been clear about this."

"If I wanted to date you, I would've told you. You know I don't play games."

"So what abour that party 2 months ago? We made out in bathroom, remember?" Hakeem tilted his head.

"Yes, but I stopped us from going any further than that. Plus, we were drunk." I started to look around to make sure the girls didn't hear him.

"Oh, I get it. Nobody knows. You wanna keep it a secret? Are you ashamed of me or some shit?" He slammed his fist on the table.

"No, Hakeem. I just don't need the girls to know about this. They know you're like a brother to me." I looked at my phone to check the time, until it started to ring. "Shit, let me take this."

"It's that fuck nigga, Drake, huh? Fuck this, I'm out." Hakeem got up and walked away.

"Hello?" I smiled and took a sip of my Pepsi.

"Can you get out of school early?" Aubrey said with a raspy tone.

"I shouldn't, but I can make an exception. What for?"

"I wanna show you something. I can come pick you up." He talked to me as if he was a realtor trying to sell me a house.

"You know, Aubrey.. I'm not sure if I want five black, tinted window, SUVs, pulling up to my school, along with some security guard trying to open the door for me."

I was laughing, but he raised his voice. "Girl this is not the movies. I can drive around by myself. Matter of fact, I'm coming right now. Give me the address."

"I'll text it to you. You got 15 minutes before my lunch is over." I looked at the clock on the wall as I saw the girls standing under it.

"I'll make it 13. Bye, Rosé." I heard some car keys jingle in the phone.

"Goodbye, Mr. Graham." I heard him laugh as I hung up.

I saw the girls stare at me with confusion, so I flagged them to come back to the table.