13: His City

Pov: August

A while after Ann started crying, we stand up. By now her tears are dry and her eyes red and puffy. To be honest, I think she's cried more today than I've ever seen her before. I wonder why. Maybe she will tell me but probably not anytime soon. Let's just say Ann has never had a problem with keeping secrets.

"Do you want to stay here for a bit?" I ask her.

She shakes her head. "No. I am in the city of dreams with you and I'm not going to spend what time I have mopping around."

That's my stubborn girl, I find myself thinking. I open my mouth to argue with her but close it when I release she's right, this IS the city of dreams.

So instead I ask her, "Are you sure your okay? I don't mind waiting here if you want."

At this she laughs out loud.

"What?"

"Nothing." she replies, "It's just that I can't believe how sweet your being right now. I mean, your a total asshole half the time but now your not. It's kinda weird, to be honest."

Asshole. She called me an asshole. She never swears. Ever. I pause and look up at her.

"What? It's true."

Even as she says this though, her face turns a red/pink color as she blushes. She looks down and blushes even more. Adorable.

"You called me asshole." I say

"Yeah, so?"

"You never swear. I must be something special for you to do it to me."

"No, I... I..."

I step closer to her and lean down, putting my mouth to her ear.

Her body visibly shivers when I say, "Whatever you say, Ann."

Quickly, because I can't resist the temptation, I turn my head and kiss her soft cheek. No matter what she might tell you, I still love her with everything I have. I'm just not going to tell her that yet. I'm terrified of scaring her off. That would break me.

"Let's go, princess, and get the hell over to the fuçking MET!"

She blushes again and hits my arm.

"Ow!" I say mockingly, "I think you owe me a kiss for that one, princess."

She just rolls her eyes and elbows me harder.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pov: Evangeline

I look over at August, happily skipping ahead of me, probably trying to embarrass me, and I shake my head. At the same time though, a goofy smile spreads itself across my face and I end up grinning like an idiot at his happily bobbing body. I'm just that awkward. Oh well.

I wonder again what my life would have been like if August had always been in it instead of taking a 'break'. Would we be together, like together together? Or would we be sick of each other?

"Ann, Ann, Earth to Ann. Hello, is anyone in here?"

August stands in front of me, smirking. You know, sometimes he really does act half his age.

"Yes, Augie?" I ask, trying to keep from laughing at the disgusted face he makes.

We arrive at the MET and go inside. After two hours of exploring the museum and not even looking at half the art, we leave. I sit down on the steps leading up to the doors and I look around at the busy streets.

Out door venders are selling hot dogs and pretzels while cabs are honking and people shouting. I hear sirens wailing the distance and shopkeepers shouting at one another. Somewhere in all this chaos is peace and quiet, but I wouldn't want to be there. All the noises on the streets are like some sort of magic and with the skyscrapers looming above, you can almost believe your in a fairy tale. I wonder if this one has a happy ending.

It's almost three now and the smoke from a old mans cigarette is really getting to me so I get up and turn to find August. He's disappeared again so I look around the crowds of swarming people trying to find his familiar face.

I spot him over by one of the venders and I make my way over to them, keeping a hand on my wallet stuffed in my front short pocket.

I get there just as he's turning around, a huge grin on his face as he waves a hot, salty pretzel in front of my face.

"Look what I got us, Ann!"

I can't help but smile at his happiness. How did God ever create something like him?

"Let's go, asshole." I tell him, laughing.

"If you call me a fuçking asshole again, your not getting any of this pretzel." he warms me.

I roll my eyes and rip off part of the pretzel.

"Where to next... asshole?"

He growls at me.

"Where would you like to go princess?"

I pretend to think for a minute and then I say, "Battery Park please."

The rest of the day is spent exploring the city, taking subways everywhere. He has a metro card and I bought myself one, too.

By the time dinner rolls around, both of us are incredibly hungry and immensely happy.

We choose to eat at this little Korean-Mexican fusion place. We chose this because I wanted some sort of Asian food, I didn't care what, and he wanted Mexican or Central American.

We both order soft shell tacos filled with Korean-style meats and kimchi. I insist that he tries his first and when he does, I can see his whole face light up.

"You know, Ann, this food is no fuçking good. In fact," he says while taking another bite, "I think you should just give it to me."

"Not a chance, asshole."

So, how do you think Nathan will react when he finds out Evangeline is staying the night with August?