23: Contacts

Pov: Evangeline

Leaving. That's what I'm doing. I'm leaving. The rest of the week has passed in a blur. I've managed to avoid Nathan almost completely and I'm dreading going to the airport because I know he will come to say 'goodbye' to Lisa. I don't want to look at him. I can't. Maybe I could if... if... if someone else was here too.

Pov: August

My fault. The words echo in my head. My fault. It's my fault she's gone. It's my fault she's haunting my dreams. It's my fault all I can see when I close my eyes are her's, brimming with tears and pleading, begging me to listen. It's my fault I didn't stay.

And I've tried everything. Believe me, everything. Apparently I can't forget her. That's probably also my fault.

Carla can tell something has happened but doesn't ask. I don't know what would happen if she did.

Pov: Evangeline

I'm on the plane. I didn't even say 'bye' to Nathan. I know Lisa is upset about that, but she's doing her best not to show it. I feel awful for putting my best friend in a situation where she had to choose between me and her boyfriend. I've apologized to her a million times but she insists it's all okay. I wonder if it really is.

Pov: August

I don't know what happened. We were best friends. Something changed when I told Nathan. It's like he felt he had to take a side, me or her. However, there was something else he could have chosen. Us.

Not just me, not just her, us. Together.

I suppose he lost all three while trying to pick.

Pov: Evangeline

What am I going to tell my parents?

I know they will ask about Nathan. And they will no something is wrong.

I guess it's his fault. I wasn't the one who lied to my sister every time she asked, "Has he called?" But still, there's a little voice inside of me that keeps insisting I'm the one who's at fault.

Pov: August

Lies.

I've been trying to tell myself lies.

It doesn't work.

I wish it fuçking did.

Pov: Evangeline

I scroll through my contacts.

I can't do this.

I want to call him.

I don't want to call him.

But then I do again.

But I don't call him

because

I know

it

will

hurt.

Pov: August

I want to call.

I can't.

I won't.

My fingers are grasping my phone.

I start to scroll through my contacts.

Then I stop.

Pov: Evangeline/August

I can see the contact name.

Pov: Evangeline

Your Favorite Asshole.

Pov: August

Her Majesty, Queen Ann of Avila Beach.