New School New Life

Year 1996.

I went to the secondary school in our little town. Yeah I didn't get any offer from a boarding school, yet.

On the first day of school, we have to sit for an exam to determine what class we will be in. I need to score for the best this time. I need to be in Class No. 1. I need to save my last pride. Furthermore, my auntie who is a teacher in this school will torture me enough if I didn't get in to the Class No. 1.

After the exam, we all the Form 1 students were called in to the exam hall and our names will be called according to our class. But before it started, my name was called up to see my auntie who is a teacher in this school. Damn it. I'm scared. She must already know the result and what class I'll be in.

"Is the questions too difficult for you?" asked my auntie as I walked up to her.

I told you so. She already knew the result. I'm tossed. She gonna tell my mom how bad my performance. Ohh she's my mom's younger sister. She always came by to our house. It will be a nightmare for me through out the school year till I graduate. No wonder why my three older sisters warned me about it.

"Hmm..I think it's not too difficult. Did I get a bad result?"

She didn't answer me but keep walking us to her office. In her office, she handed me a new pair of clothes and said it's for me to bring it to the boarding school. Did I hear it wrongly? She said boarding school right?

"You got an offer from a boarding school in the city", my auntie said.

"Really? You're not kidding right?"

"No, I'm not. Now go back home and prepare yourself to go to the boarding school", she said further.

I'm so happy. Finally I'll go to a boarding school in the city. I got an offer from a boarding school that my father want me to go. It's all girls boarding school.

At night, I called my bestfriend Amy. I asked her what class I get in. She told me that I get in to Class No. 1. Thank God. But my auntie really get me scared to death about it. I told Amy that I got an offer from a boarding school in the city and that I'm not going to our secondary school anymore as I'll busy for my preparation to go to the boarding school. She congratulate me and we promise to meet each other during school holidays when I come back to our hometown later.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

The all girls boarding school.

To be honest, it's hard adjusting life in this boarding school.

Being the youngest child in my family, I can say I'm spoilt. I don't like to share. I'll get what I want.

But here in the boarding school, I have to learn to share, respect and tolerate with others. Time management is important here. Thus, often time I'll skip meal time especially breakfast. Then eventually I got gastric. I really miss my mom's cooking. Of course being freshies, we got bullied by the seniors. Adjusting and juggling life and studies in this boarding school is killing me. It's affected my academic performance. I didn't get in to Class No. 1 and next year I'll still in Class No. 2. But I survive the first year in this boarding school.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * 

The long school holidays.

I went back to my hometown. I met Amy. She said, "You're right. He got a girlfriend in our school".

"I told you so", I said.

"Zoey is his girlfriend. Do you remember her?" Amy asked.

Zoey. My good friend during Standard 3. Of course I remember her. How could I forget. Zoey moved to another school during Standard 4. Since then I have no contact with Zoey.

"Amy, of course I remember Zoey. I bet they make a good couple in your school. Zoey is a good girl."

I don't feel betrayed. I'm happy they're happy.