14

"Emma, would you like some rice with that?" Celia asks me after I put some chicken on my plate.

"Yes, please" I reply, sticking out my plate as she stood on the other side of the counter. She placed some rice on my plate and then I added some vegetables.

"Babe, you're gonna drop it, ah!" I turn my head when I hear my sister squealing about something and right as I do the plate of pasta that her boyfriend took drops to the ground, shattering and making a huge mess.

Megan tries to hide her laugh, covering her mouth and smacking Jake's arm as he laughs behind her. "I told you, idiot"

I sigh, looking as Celia moves away from her place at the stove and gets a napkin as another maid, Gloria goes to assist her. I leave my plate on the counter and go get another paper towel to help them.

"Really Meg?" I scold her, getting tired of her and her boyfriend's immaturity.

"What?! It wasn't even me. I told him to stop." She defends.

"Hey, I was about to but then you're high pitched voice scared me. It was a reflex." Jake says, but I can tell all of it is a joke to him.

I shake my head, ignoring them and kneel down, starting to wipe the floor.

"No Emma, we've got it. You go and eat your dinner." Gloria says, but I don't listen.

"It's okay. It's not your fault anyway." I reply, continuing. Luckily they don't ask me again knowing that I wouldn't listen to them anyway.

I hear some loud heels again, knowing it's Cruella herself entering the kitchen. There's no doubt she has some comment about the mess.

"What's going on in here? Did the dog do it?" She asks from behind me.

"No, you're daughter and her boyfriend were messing around and dropped it." I reply.

"Well, why are you on the floor? Get up and go clean yourself off and come to the table. I have to tell you all something." She replies and I roll my eyes, looking up at the two ladies in front of me. They smile at me and mouth me to go and that they'll be fine.

I eventually stand up, putting the paper towel in the trash and washing my hands again.

I know, I know. I'm a wimp against my mother.

I felt bad every time the maids had to clean up something or take care of something that was caused by my family.

I mean I knew that as maids their job was supposed to clean, cook, and do the jobs my mother and father assign them, but the fact that a lot of times the jobs were from unnecessary messes is what angered me.

Especially because of the fact that most of the maids, well 4 out of the 6, were older and I knew they would get sore from kneeling and excessive work.

"Emma, come on. Your dinner's getting cold." I hear my mom say from the dining room. I looked over to the counter where I had placed my plate and saw that it wasn't there.

I dried my hands and walked over to the room, finding my plate by the seat opposite to Jake.

I sit down and start eating along with everyone else;this was how it usually was at meals. We never really had small talk. Only about work or stuff like that.

"So, as you all know, I've been working on my line thoroughly this past year." My mother starts, already probing my point about dinner conversations.

"After traveling across Europe and meeting with other designers and companies. I've finally completed my line, and that's why I decided to come back early from fashion week.