Chapter 1

Mt. Draco Cubicle- Present Day

"Are you sure we are in the right cave ?" Jermaine asked Fauna, the green fairy, as he followed behind her closely, watching as she nimbly walked through the dark, rocky, narrow cave entrance, while using her wand's bright green light as her lantern.

Jermaine had been assigned to her six years ago, as her personal bodyguard. Fauna had always been busy to him on different botany and horticulture treks, but they had never had to travel this far. To Jermaine it felt like they had traveled to the end of the world. He hated to admit it, but he was anxious . When the Queen had initially told him that this excursion was different. He would be escorting and protecting her sister from the great and powerful Maleficent. He had been astounded, and shocked that the powerful witch had not been a mere story and was still alive. It took everything in him not to ask to be reassigned. He had never met. Much less fought a dragon, and didn't think he would be up to the challenge. He was quite happy reporting boring news to Queen Flores, who insisted that Fauna wake her, and that he go with her. He had been protecting her all this time. Jermaine trusted his Queen's judgement. He just wished he knew all of the particular details to this mission.

"Oh J, stop being such a scaredy cat. She is asleep." Fauna said with a smile in her voice. She thought her bodyguard's fear was silly.

"And why are we waking her again, Your Majesty?" He inquired, hoping she would tell him what her sister had not.

"Because someone has found a way to use her curse."

Jermaine hadn't known it was this serious.

"Why haven't you told the others?"

"Because my sister thinks the council won't listen to reason. She fears by the time we do convince them it will be too late, and by then we will have a national emergency on our hands."

They walked on.

"How do you know she is in here?"

"Because I used a locator spell from this." With her free hand she pulled out a small, silver looking glass from the left back pocket of the khaki pants she wore. "This was hers."

"Once you wake her what will she be able to do to help?"

"Hopefully she will be able to stop it. Or at least tell us how to."

"Maleficent ? The witch who can turn into a large, fire breathing dragon, Maleficent? The one who swore to kill all three of you..." he trailed off when he saw that she was smiling at him.

She laughed.

Her laugh always seemed to make him feel as if he were in the middle of a fresh green meadow in springtime. They walked on. It was dark and cold. It smelled dank and stagnate. Fauna could feel Maleficent's presence. She kept walking onward. Jermaine was too scared to move. Fauna noticed, stopped walking, and commented.

"Are you coming or not?"

"I..." He stammered.

"Suit yourself." Fauna said as she walked further into the darkness of the cave.

Having hundreds of years to reflect on Maleficent and how they had treated her. She realized maybe they had been too harsh and judgemental of her all those centuries ago.Their parents had always told them to be kind to all creatures and to never judge, but they all had. They had been frightened of what she had become, and the dark power she had possessed. They had all been so caught up in her evil transformation that they couldn't remember the once kind and beautiful girl she had been. Now, they were all living in a world where magic was technology. People from all backgrounds and all walks of life were able to work and coexist together for a common good. They had to do this not just so Maleficent could redeem herself, but so they could as well. Flores,Mary, and Fauna had always been beautiful, kind and blessed. They had never been through the things Maleficent had as a young girl, and very few knew about that dark period. The ground crunched softly under her boots as she moved further still into the belly of the cave until she saw her.