Chapter 9

As soon as it appeared, my smile quickly disappeared from my face. I knit my eyebrows together and stared at him.

"Shoot," I deadpanned, my arms crossed as I lean on one leg.

"Fight in the ring and win a match," he stated his condition. I almost burst into laughter as soon as he said that but held it in. He wanted me to prove myself, doesn't he?

"Okay," I replied, barely affected by his request.

He gestured me to follow him and so I did. We walked down the hallway and into a dressing room in silence. As I stepped through the door, the smell of smelly armpits hit my nose. I scrunched it up in disgust and looked around.

The room had a mirror with light bulbs around it and in front of it, stood a chair with the name 'King' printed on the back.; it reminded of the chairs actors had in their dressing rooms. Everything else in the room was a mess—piles of clothes clumped up in the corner, empty hangers on racks, and towels on the floor.

"Here."

King tossed me red boxing gloves, and I caught it with ease. I stared at it in confusion. "I don't need these." I look back up at him.

King let out a breathy laugh and replied in a teasing tone. "Trust me, darling. You'll need those. Wouldn't want to break your pretty little fingers now would you?"

I glared at him from under my hood even though he couldn't see it. Now that I mention it, I kinda wish he had. I looked back down at the gloves and squeezed it in my hand. I tossed it back to him and he caught it.

"You... really don't want these?" He asked, a little unsure and taken back. His tone had a hint of curiosity to it.

"Nah, keep it." I waved it off. "Now, how do I sign up?" I cut straight to the point, bubbling with excitement.

"I'll take care of that."

A few minutes later, I was back in the crowded area around the ring, the crowd louder than ever. I was tempted to plug in my ears but managed not to. I stuck to King closely as we moved through the bunches of people, careful not to bump into any of them while ignoring the heated stares directed at him from horny girls. I looked over King's shoulder to see that we were headed towards the announcer's room.

"King!" The announcer gushed as soon as he saw us walk in. He momentarily turned off his microphone, walked towards King, and shook his hand. "What do I owe the pleasure?"

"I want to put her in," King gestured to me with his thumb. The announcer's gaze drifted to me and he did a once-over, his eyes filled with displease.

"Mr. King," the announcer went back to his seat and rubbed his temples. "Please note that this is an underground fighting arena and not some beauty contest." His gaze drifted to me once again.

"Not that she would win either way," he added in distaste. I clenched my fist and moved towards him, ready to give this man a good beating but King held his hand out, preventing me from doing so. Was this man asking for a death wish? Cause, I'd gladly grant him one.

"I understand," he replied and then his voice suddenly turned menacing. "But that still doesn't change my mind. Are you going to let her fight or not?"

The announcer's eyes widened, and he looked taken back. He finally let out a sigh and replied, "Not letting this go, are you?"

When King didn't reply, he turned to me. "You're going up against One Punch Man—" I let out a snicker, and he stared at me with a serious expression. I muttered a 'sorry' and let him continue. "He's a big man so watch out for his punches. You might not make it out alive."