Chapter 31: " There are Some Things in this World I Want to Protect. "

" Here you go, " Yuri said quietly as she stopped the bath water, placing a hot cup of tea on the edge of the tub. " Just relax, okay? I know it's been a hard day for you. " Yuri pat my head and left the restroom, shutting the door behind her. I undress and slip into the tub, nearly sinking my entire body under the water, pressing my knees against my chest. I really did it this time-everything is so problematic and I am unable to fix it! Ugh! I hate when I don't have control over these types of situations and it makes my skin crawl with negative possibilities! In nervous shock, I began to claw at my arms slightly, stared at the water. I sat there for minutes, jaw itching at my skin and causing myself to bleed in various spots until there was a knock on the door.

    " Monika- " Yuri paused as she opened the door, staring at my arms. Yuri quietly set the towel down and kneeled next to the tub, grabbing my hands to stop me from causing further damage. Her touch was so gentle, it made me feel so calm. " Is there something you want to talk about? " I nodded quietly, leaning over to Yuri and putting my head onto her shoulder. " Want to get dressed first? " Yuri asked, standing up, but I grabbed her skirt and held onto it.

   " N-no... " I said quietly, " I-..I want to talk now-.. " Yuri nodded and quietly sat down next to me, holding my hand.

   Yuri talked in her soothing, quiet voice, " Now tell me what's wrong. "

  " It's all out of control... " I stammered. " Everything was fine-! But-..but...then..my parents and...everything else-! I s-sometimes wish... " I paused, Yuri listened intently.

   " That I never met you? " Yuri finished. " You feel terrible because you ' dragged me ' into these situations, correct? " I nodded solemnly.  Yuri placed one hand over mine and the other on my cheek. " Look at me. " I looked at Yuri. " It's not your fault. You did nothing wrong, and if I never met you, I wouldn't be as happy as I am now. Please-don't blame yourself for these silly situations. They're just obstacles to test us both. " Yuri smiled slightly as she said that last part and leaned into me, suddenly locking lips with me. I replied by returning the kiss.

   Yuri slowly backed away, " You see, " Yuri ran her hand through my hair, giving a sympathetic look, " You're Monika! The smartest, most beautiful, and strongest girl in our school. You can handle anything. " Yuri placed her forehead against mine. " I believe in you. " Yuri hugged me again, comforting me.

   I wiped away my small tears, sniffling, " I better get dressed and get to bed. " Yuri nodded and left me to get dressed. I slipped into some nightly clothes and left the bathroom, noticing how dark the house was. Yuri must already be in bed. I quietly walked to Yuri's room, silently opening the door. Yuri was sleeping on the side of the bed closest to the door. I closed the door behind me and carefully curled up beside Yuri, snuggling into her back. I soon dozed off.

   " Wake up-! " I heard Yuri whisper as she shook me. I blinked my eyes open a few times and saw slight panic in Yuri's eyes. I slowly woke myself up, sitting up and looking at Yuri. " You-you need to get out of here-! " I tilted my head, confused.

    " Oh-wha-why..? " I asked, trying to stumbled out of bed. Suddenly, I heard a loud bang and the sound of a large piece of wood, like a door, plummeting to the ground. Yuri quickly wrapped her arms around me, shielding me from whatever was coming through the door. I felt Yuri's grip tighten and she refused to let me see what was happening.

   " That's her! She kidnapped my daughter and is sexually using her against her will! " I could hear my fathers voice boom in the room. Yuri slowly moved me to the window as my father shouted at her. " Arrest this girl now for sexual harassment and kidnapping! " I perked my head up slightly, trying to see what was going on. 

   " Monika- " Yuri quietly whispered into my ear. " jump out the window... " I shook my head quickly.

   " N-no-! What's going on-let me stay with you-! " I yelped quietly, Yuri slipped the window open and set me on the edge. " Yuri ple- "

   " GO! " Yuri yelled at me and I noticed my father and a few police officers slowly approaching Yuri. " Get out of here! Don't look back! " I watched as Yuri was slammed to the ground and being cuffed by the officers.

   " Monika- come here... " My father quietly said. I looked down at Yuri to see her giving me a pitiful and pleading look. Yuri is wanting me to run-but Yuri is in danger... Yuri mouthed to me ' Please... run. ' I frowned and quickly jumped out the window, hearing both my father and officers yelling at me. I then heard Yuri screaming as I ran off, as if she was trying to fight the many officers arresting her. Don't look back-she wanted you to run! Yuri says run-you run! Yuri will be fine-right..? I kept sprinting until I couldn't breath or run anymore. I collapsed onto the ground and yelled in the air, my voice cracking from the exhaustion.

   " Holy shit- " A female voice said as I was being approached. " Monika?! " Natsuki lifted my head up, I was barely able to respond. " What happened? "

   " Yuri...father....help-..." I collapsed onto the ground, blacking out from exhaustion.

This is a shorter chapter to build up to the next, climactic, chapter!