Chapter One

Jazz music played softly in the background as I tuned my guitar and glanced over the set list I had prepared. Just your average Thursday Night performance at a small cafe. The best cafe in the world, or at least in Massachusetts. I absolutely loved the Walnut St Cafe. Whether it was an open mic, a feature, or just friends hanging out over coffee I felt at home. In a sense, this was my home. I mean, I was always here for one reason or another. I took a sip of my water and adjusted my playing position as Bri, my favorite barista, muted Benny Goodman. Jitters tingled throughout my body as pre performance nerves settled in. Usually I was more excited than nervous, however, tonight was different. Familiar faces eased my anxiety and the few unfamiliar people I was excited to entertain. The one person I was hoping would be able to make it had not arrived. Not wanting to sit in silence I decide to procrastinate with a quick story before the opening song.

"Hi," I addressed the crowd.

My little sister, Makenna, responded back with an energtic hello. Of course she did. I had to laugh at her enthusiasm to hear her older sister perform. Family was the best support system one could have. That's a fact.

"How are you all doing tonight?"

Makenna responded, "Doing okay, I get to stay out on a school night so that's cool!"

Of course, she had to take everything literally. That was just her personality. A smartass much like Amelia Bedelia. Except Makenna was ten and knew exactly what she was doing. Most of the time that was. I rolled my eyes while letting out yet another laugh and continued on with my banter.

"I'm Nicole Ramone and I appreciate you all coming out on a Thursday night to hear me play some tunes on this guitar right here. I'm going to start off with a cover from one of my all time favorite bands, Set It Off. Not only did this band get me into music but they are the reason I continue to live for another day. I'll get into that later as I have a few covers from them scattered throughout the night. Fun fact they were actually my very first concert in 2011. They also happened to be the first concert for my brother and sister too. And now almost ten years later I'm ranting before playing."

He still had not come. Maybe he would show up later or maybe he was not coming at all. Either way I could not procrastinate any longer.

"That's enough banter though," I finish. "I'm going to start tonight off with a little song called You Are Loved."

As I started playing I thought about how this song had been my comfort at my darkest most depressed and anxious moments. The emotion showed through my vocals as I put every ounce of soul I had into each word. I had just gotten to the part right before the bridge when a man with faded blue hair and a midnight blue beanie walked into the cafe with a woman with ash blonde shoulder length hair swept to the left side. The woman was scanning the menu while the man with the blue hair watched me with focus and smiled with content. I smiled back, acknowledging his existence. Cody Carson actually accepted my invite to come.

"It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem, we all have issues not knowing how to solve them. And when you think you're at your worst, remember all these words. When you look down does it feel so far away? Are the names so hard to take? Great escape. We are not so different, I can tell. Cause I stood right where you're standing. Bruised, battered, beaten, broken down. Wore the frown and I'm here to tell you that you are loved, you are loved. That you are loved. You are loved. You are loved."

As the song ended an applause erupted, Cody Carson clapping loudest of them all before his friend nudged him to order. I continued on as if the man who walked in was not the person who wrote what I just covered.

"Wow," I spoke, soaking all the applause and positive affirmation in. "I am for sure feeling the love and I hope you are too. What a great way to start the night off. If it's okay with you guys I'm going to do one more cover and then go head first into some originals. I'm in a band called Jump In Girl. Despite the name we are not a Fall Out Boy cover band, although this next cover is one of my favorite Fall Out Boy songs."