02

Michael

"Mr. Clifford since you don't know your way around yet I am going to assign you a person to walk you around your classes." Mrs. Green said to Michael right after homeroom. Everyone had left by then and he didn't want to be late again so he was secretly hoping she'd wrap it up with the partner thing. "I'm preferably going to assign someone with a schedule almost identical to yours." Michael nodded to show he understood.

"Mr. Hood you may come in!" Mrs. Green called to the door. Michael turned toward the door and saw a boy with tan skin stride through the door. He wore a serious face but once he greeted Mrs. Green he had an all-out grin. His eyes crinkled at the sides and he had a slight lisp when he talked but Michael didn't mind.

"Hello Mrs. Green," he nodded toward her. "And you must be Michael!" He smiled at him and shook his hand.

"Calum you will take Michael to all of your classes so he knows his way around." The teacher instructed. "You should probably head out now."

Calum nodded. "Right, bye Mrs. Green!" And with that, he exited the room and walked down the hallway with Michael in tow. Michael looked around at the empty hallway and listened to their footsteps echo. They passed by the trophy case and there were a fair amount won. Michael quickly caught up to Calum so they were walking side by side.

"So Michael," Calum started. "Where did you move from?"

"Arizona." Michael mumbled.

Calum looked at him and smiled. "Not much of a talker, are you?"

Michael simply shrugged.

Calum chuckled quietly then continued, "We have 11th grade Calculus now. And don't worry," he paused. "We won't be late because we have passes."

Michael froze up a little but it didn't show. He wasn't good at math and hated how his condition affected him when he attempted to do it.

Calum and Michael walked further down the hallway until they reached a door with a plaque next to it saying: ROOM 890. Calum opened the door and they both walked into a room with every single person staring at them.

"And why are you two late?" An old wrinkly man asked grumpily whilst tapping his foot.

"We have a pass sir," Calum waltzed up to him with a mischievous grin and handed him the passes.

The old man read over the pass quickly and grunted for them to find a seat.

Michael looked around and saw two empty seats in the back. Perfect, he thought to himself. Michael rushed down the aisle of seats while people stared and he plopped down in the chair. Calum sat down in the desk beside him shortly after.

"Okay," the teacher started. "As I was saying, I am Mr. Levy and I am your 11th grade Calculus teacher." He went behind his desk and grabbed a whole stack of papers and passed them down each of the aisles. "This is your syllabus. I'll read over it."

While Mr. Levy read over it, Michael did too.

Every word was viewed as a different color, the letter A was royal blue, every letter G was as orange as the sun at sunset, and the letter I was an almost neon green. Every single letter was a distinct color which made every sentence a rainbow. Michael let out a muffled groan and put his head in his hands.

"Dude are you okay?" Calum whispered, leaning across the aisle.

"I'm fine," Michael's voice was muffled because of his covered face. "I just need to focus."

Calum nodded and went back to listening to Mr. Levy.

Michael went back to reading the syllabus, and even though it was a grueling, annoying task, he got through it.