11

Michael

Michael had never felt more...happy.

He never thought he'd feel that genuine feeling of happiness, well, ever. And all just because of a girl.

Now Michael felt anxious, he can't start liking this girl he just can't. Not that she isn't nice or cute or anything it's the fact that Michael was afraid of falling in love. He'd never done it before.

The word love gave him a certain taste in his mouth whenever he thought or said it. Not this thing again! Michael internally groaned.

He got up from his bed and went to the kitchen to get a drink of water.

"Michael? Sweetie are you okay?" His mother walked in while he gulped down glass after glass.

"No," Michael sputtered out, water spraying down the front of his shirt.

"Why?" She frowned.

"It's this stupid synesthesia thing. I thought about a word and now the taste is in my mouth." Michael walked out of the kitchen and sunk into the couch with anger.

"Honey," Michael's mother say down gently beside him. "Don't be frustrated."

Michael stared at her. "There's something wrong with me how can I not be frustrated?"

"There's nothing wrong with you, Michael. This is just another characteristic about you that makes you you."

Her attempts to make Michael feel better didn't work, but he said he felt great.

Once Michael was back in his room, he decided to take a nap. Sleeping made him forget everything that was bad.

~

Michael jolted awake to his phone ringing. He sleepily sat up and looked at the caller ID.

Luke.

Michael pressed the accept button and held it to his ear. "Hello?"

"Michael meet me by the community garden." Luke said quickly and hung up the phone.

Michael looked outside and the sky was getting darker. He slowly got up and told his mom he was going to meet Luke.

~

"What is it?" Michael asked Luke, who he could barely see due to the darkening sky.

"I need to tell you something," Luke said, walking closer. "But don't say anything okay? Don't tell anyone."

Michael was kind of worried now. "What is it?"

Luke sighed and rubbed his face. "Remember that thing I told you a week ago?"

"Yeah?" Michael answered. Wondering how that had to do anything with this.

"I have a boyfriend." Luke said, staring deep into Michael's eyes.

"That's great Luke!" Michael cheered happily going in for a hug.

Luke shied away and Michael slowly put his arms down.

"Thanks Michael." Luke sighed.

"What's wrong?" Michael asked with a pout.

"He just," Luke sighed. "He's just being difficult."

"How?" Michael sat down on the bench and faced the tall boy who sat down beside him. The streetlight illuminated his face.

"He wants to keep our relationship a secret. I understand where he's coming from but I want to be open, not hidden. Ever sense his dad found out he hasn't been talking to me as much and he's been even more demanding of keeping our relationship secret."

Luke looked like he was about to cry and Michael hugged him.

"I'm sorry," Michael mumbled.

Then Michael realized something.

"Luke?" Michael

"Yeah?" Luke sniffled.

"Your boyfriend's dad, what happened?" Michael nonchalantly asked him.

"He-he hurt him," Luke started crying again.

"Who is your boyfriend?" Michael asked, though having a flicker of an idea who it was.

Luke calmed down and whispered something. Michael didn't understand him so Luke said it louder, "Aiden."

"Aiden's your boyfriend?" All the pieces fit together now, Aiden and Luke always being gone at the same time, how Aiden got hurt, and why Calum and Luke were so secretive.

"Yeah," Luke looked down as if ashamed. "Sorry I didn't tell you earlier, I didn't know what you'd think."

"You told me you were gay and I thought that was okay, why would I think the opposite of Aiden and you?" Michael didn't care what sexuality a person was, as long as they were happy.

"I don't know," Luke wiped his eyes. "I'm confusing sometimes."

"Same," Michael nodded. "Wait, do Lil and Thomas know?"

"Probably not," Luke shrugged. "Aiden is scared to tell them, I guess because of the same reason I was to tell you. Aiden cares more about what people think of him than I do, even though I think he's perfect the way he is."

Luke had a look of admiration in his eyes and it made Michael 'aw' internally.

"I support both of you," Michael hugged Luke and Luke squeezed back tightly.

"Thank you," Luke's voice muffled by his face in Michael's shoulder.

~

Michael and Luke had said their goodbye's and now Michael was laying in his bed. He kept thinking about Lil and Luke and Aiden and his synesthesia and he just wanted to fall asleep so he'd forget everything going on for a little while.

Why do things have to be so complicated?

~

If you sang the last sentence you're amazing and I love you.

Avril Lavigne is the babe.

But anyway if it wasn't clear, the secret Luke told Michael earlier in the story was that he was gay. I just decided to clarify it since I never mentioned what the secret was.

The Muke gif up top makes me so heart eyes emoji

~• Edited •~

See you guys next Friday and I hope you like the story!

Love you all and thank you so much again 😊

~ Juliet