Chapter 3

I got up early to meet Mrs. Kate, my dads old therapist at the local coffee shop right down the road from my house on Bellman Avenue. I had to get my kids up too, so that was a struggle since Ansel isn't here to help like he usually is.

I checked my watch, 7:15. My sister-in law should be here in about five minutes to pick the kids up and take them to her house.

As I got ready, I tried to prepare myself for what was about to happen. As I sank deeper into my thoughts, a loud ring snapped me out of my daydreams.

I went to the door to greet Sophie, Ansel's sister, while Talia ate her breakfast and Brady napped on his play mat on the floor.

" Aunt Sophie! " Talia exclaimed

Sophie quickly silenced her and acknowledged that baby Brady was sleeping.

Talia looked upset. She hates it when she gets in "trouble" .

' Thank you!' I mouthed to Sophie

She nodded her head in response.

I took Sophie into the kitchen and offered her some fruit salad and coffee, which she gladly took.

"Thank you so much for helping me out today! Things have been quite crazy lately!" I told her, gratefully.

"No problem! " Sophie replied sweetly " I know how important this is for you to find out. Its sad that you've gone without a dad for so long, you at least deserve to know something about what happened."

I could see the sympathy in her eyes as she said this. I embraced her in a tight hug.

" I don't know what I would do without you and your family and all the support they give me!" I told Sophie, tears threatening to spill over.

"Anytime! We love you, your family!" Sophie said.

It really was comforting having her around, it was nice to have someone to talk to after all the things that have been happening over the past few months. I needed someone to pour my heart and feelings out to, and Sophie allowed me to do that with her. I felt like I could tell her anything, and she would support me with it. That quality runs in the family, Ansel has it too.

" All right," I said after a short talk with Sophie about the kids schedules " Talia, be on your very best behavior for Aunt Sophie! Listen to her, and don't be mean to your little brother, the poor guy is so tired!"

" I will mommy!" Talia told me

" If you need anything, I will have my cellphone on me, feel free to text me. If its an absolute emergency, go ahead and call." I told Sophie

"All right, but I'm sure everything will be fine, and you are welcome to stay for as long as you like when you come to pick them up!" Sophie answered

" Okay, bye! Love you all!"

Even though Sophie assured me that everything was going to be fine, I'm still worried. I had a feeling that something bad might happen today. I could almost feel it in the air.

Once I was done getting ready, I grabbed my jacket and my purse and headed out to my car.

I got in the car, buckled my seat belt and then put my keys in the ignition. The car roared to life like a ,monster in the silent morning air. I backed out of the driveway and started down the road.

Suddenly, I came to an abrupt stop. Flashing lights forced me to a halt. Was anyone going to tell me that they were starting construction on this road today?!?! I pulled to the side of the road.

I pulled out my phone and texted Mrs. Kate. 'Hey, ran into construction on the end of my road, might be a few mins late, sry.'

She replied immediately. 'That's fine! I have some paperwork to look over. I'll see u later.'

I felt relieved that she understood, This morning wasn't starting off very good

and I wasn't in the mood for extra problems. I turned around in my neighbors driveway, and headed towards the highway to take the long way into town.

I turned onto the highway and accelerated towards the first intersection, which I would turn right on and head towards the coffee shop.

When I got to the stoplight, it turned straight from green to red, and I slammed on my brakes.

It took everything inside of me not to curse the light out, instead I just honked at no one in particular. Too many memories came back to me, and this time, tears did spill over. My vision was blurry and I didn't feel safe all of the sudden.

I put on my turn signal and slowly turned right onto Bellman Avenue.