Chapter 9

The first time I saw him,  I thought he was a monster.

The kind that made danger look like a bunny in disguise.

A faint smile touched my lips at the thought but it  was soon wiped away when a black crow screeched angrily across the night sky, coated in distant stars. It sent waves of goosebumps coursing through my body whenever the winds would brush past me.

Nothing was right about tonight, nothing. Not even the stillness of the trees that rustled by. The dim and fading light of the evening sun threw the shadows off everywhere, cascading movement when there really wasn’t any. But unlike other nights, this just happened to be the worst of them all. Nikolas’ wolf went jumped to the front porch of the pack house and growled menacingly toward Sven, who stiffened and turned his body away from me.

Nikolas’ eyes were cold and dark, as they fiercely glared down on him. His tail thumped against the wooden platform as his paws inched a little towards him. I tried side-step away from Sven, but he latched onto my arm in resistance. “Let go of me!” Sven just smirked and held onto me even more tightly, but that wasn’t going to help the problem at all. It’ll only make things worse!

Nikolas continued to growl as he trudged forward with his ears flipped back, his jaw snapping wildly at Sven who just stood there, holding onto me. He should just really let me go, if he wants to avoid an early death. He was pushing Nikolas’ buttons, and it looked like he was doing at least something right because it was working. Nikolas had very low self-control, and if things went wrong they could end up deadly.

I tried pushing myself away from him again, only to fall short in my step when the door slammed open and to my surprise it was Callias. “Release him now, Sven!” He barked out through clenched teeth, my eyes widened when my dad’s frame began to shake up and down. Sven was pushing him, he was going to shift!  His hands were clenched tightly into fists at his sides as he looked very unforgiving.

I never wished for anybody to die before. I don’t even wish for Sven’s death, but...he really needed to let go of me. Sven didn’t answer to Callias and when he didn’t I let out a sharp oomf when he spun me around and into his side. His bad murky breath fanned my cheeks as I writhed in his grasp, making Nikolas growl even louder. “He is my mate!” Sven barked, making Nikolas’ growl fall short only to grumble lowly in the back of his throat.

I gulped, as my hands began to grow clammy. His mate? What was he talking about!? My breathing grew frantic the more I tried to push myself away from him but he wouldn’t budge. Sven had the strength of ten men, and compared to him I was miniscule.

“Let go of my son...now!” My dad barked out as he took a couple of threatening steps forward, eager to strike at him, but Sven just laughed it off as he pulled me to his side and backed away. “I will not stand by, and watch my mate be taken by someone else! We are meant to be together!” He barked, is he out of his mind? Meant to be together? No!

I didn’t feel any bond or connection with him, all I felt was grotesque whenever his dark eyes would rake over me. I really wanted him to let me go! Nikolas growled again at that, I really needed to get him off of me. My mind thought fast, and I ended spitting at his face. A smirk made its way onto my face when my spit hit him right in the eye. It sent his neck snapping back and his grip on me loosening.

I took that as my chance to dab him in the side sharply with my elbow, and instantly sprinted towards Nikolas when he grunted and clenched onto his stomach. I didn’t even think that I struck him that hard though, a smile worked its way onto my face when I reached Nikolas and hid behind him. Sven growled behind me, and I grabbed onto my dad’s hand when he wiped the spit away with his hand.