Chapter 14

(Logan's POV)

“What the fuck are we going to do now!?”

I flinched when Serge’s booming voice roared and bounced off the walls of the house. He never grew out of his temper. But it was one of the many things that I loved about him,  only right now he needed to calm down in order to think more rationally.We were all stressed and worried over the situation with hunters.

And nobody understood what really happened that night when Lukas was alone. Not even poor Lukas himself. A shiver rose up and down my spine at the thought, when  I glanced over at Darren worriedly who tensed and stiffened under Serge’s watchful eye. Anger was radiating off of Serge as he glared down at the pack heatedly.

Another pack meeting arose, but nothing was being done.

Callias draped a warm and comforting arm around Darren and pecked his temple, and my heart broke when I saw a glistening tear drop slip down Darren’s cheek. Darren once told me how much he felt like a failure as a father, and as a mate.

He was trying his best to raise the four pups but he always blames himself for the problems that are going on in the pack. Even though he shouldn’t, and even though I knew better a sliver of envy always courses through my system whenever I hear Darren speak so fondly about his pups. He’s my best friend, we grew up together, but I always wanted to do have family of my own.

Stability.

I never had that, and it scares me now than ever to know that Tom has escaped out of federal prison, and is coming back for me, and Lukas. I thought that I could escape that nightmare, but it still follows me like a shadow. A shadow that never really left me. Nobody was allowed to leave the pack grounds ever since we were informed about the hunters.

I jumped when Serge let out a grunt and pinched the bridge of his nose with his forefinger and thumb. “Serge, you need to calm down, can’t you see that you’re not the only one affected by the situation? We need to be rationalize about this, and think this thoroughly.” Callias said as he ran a hand over his face tiredly. The pack was going under a lot of pressure, normally I would stay for pack meetings but I just found myself unable to. There was a heavy weight on my shoulders the entire time I sat there looking like an idiot.

Arguments erupted from the pack members as the tension in the room thickened. I couldn’t handle it anymore, all this yelling, all this arguing without finding a resolution. It was eating me up inside, I hated seeing a family being torn apart when we need to be strong for each other. “Enough!” I barked out, growing more irritated by the second as my pulse quickened.

 The room instantly fell silent, when I stood up from the chair, balling my hands into tight fists at my sides.  Serge looked over at me; appalled. But I couldn’t bring myself to look at him, I was far too upset too. This has gone out of line, i’m tired of seeing this problem going no where and fast. “Can’t you see what’s happening here!?” I cried out, throwing my hands up exasperatedly. I glanced over the shocked  faces of the pack members, and shook my head at them disappointedly.

“Instead of trying to solve the problem, all we’re doing is just arguing all the time! We aren’t getting anywhere like this, instead, its just pulling us apart when we need to be together. Now more than ever!” I said, trying to hold myself together. It was only then I was able to look up at Serge, who glanced at me worriedly. “We are supposed to be a  family…” I mumbled, surprised by the way my voice cracked at the end.

“Now, i’m not even sure what this is anymore.” I said solemnly, my eyes drifting around the pack members who looked down in shame.  “Baby…” Serge whispered trying to step up towards me, only for me to step away from him. I was done right now, “you know where to find me if you need me.” I told him wearily, I stepped around Serge and walked back up the stairs. Eager to find some answers, anything that would help at this point. I didn’t even notice that I slammed into somebody when they put their hands onto my shoulders.