Chapter 12

He stood in front of us and bent his knees to be eye to eye with Lila. I opened his arms and enfolded her in his arms. Lila stood still, unsure of what to do. She slowly wrapped her arms lightly around my father. He pulled away from her and smiled.

"Well, Lila, it is nice to have you as a new part of the family." A huge smile grew on her face and she seemed to glow. She wrapped her arms tightly around father's waist. I couldn't help but giggle at her, and my father's reaction. He froze then chuckled. He set his hand on her head and ran it down the back on her head. Lila pulled away and smiled up at me. "Why don't you girls go out for some fresh air or Ellie, why don't you go have your lessons with your mother for what you are supposed to do at your wedding. It's less then three months away." My father suggested.

"Come on Lila, let's go for a horse ride." I pulled her towards the door when my father called my name. I stopped in my tracks and turned to face him.

"Ellie. You have to go to your lessons and dress fittings at some time. So, when you come back from your ride please go to your mother's room so that you can begin your lessons."

"Yes, father. May we go now?"

"Yes go on. We will have to get Lila a pair of riding dress and boots so you can teach her how to ride by herself." I nodded and took Lila's wrist and pulled her through the door. I closed the door and we started running down the hallway to the back door that led to the stables. We ran out the door and into the stables. We stopped when we entered caught our breath. I walked over to my horse and led her out of the stall. I grabbed the saddle off of the wall and the bridle off the stand. I quickly saddle my horse checked that it was tight. I slid the bridle on. I looked over at Lila who was sitting on the stool in front of the stall.

"Ready to go?" I asked her.

"I have never rode a horse before." She said.

"Don't worry. You'll be fine. Bring that stool over so I can help you up." She stood up and pulled the stool up to the horse. I put my foot in the stirrup and pulled myself up over my horse's back. "Stand on the top and put your foot here." I motioned toward the stirrup. "Put your weight on that foot and swing your other over her back." I grabbed Lila's hand and helped pull her up onto the horse's back. She sat straight up and wrapped her arms around my waist.

"What's her name?"

I turned around and adjusted her skirt so it wasn't twisted around her body.

"Shadow." I replied.

"What a pretty name?"

I smiled at her and turned back around. I put my feet in the stirrups and kicked Shadow. She slowly walked to the doors of the barn. The stable boy opened the door to let us out. As soon as we exited the barn I took Shadow into a cantor. Lila's grip tightened around my waist. I smiled and headed toward the hill in the back of the village. I slowed down as I neared the area where the serfs lived. I stopped and turned my head to face Lila. She was staring down at the houses below her.

"Look! Ellie! I used to live there!" She said excitedly.

"Yes. I know."

"I lived there with my mother..." She began to tear up.

"Now, now. Don't cry. I know something that I know you will love to do?"

"What is it?" she asked sniffling.

"How would you like to go see Cy?" Her eyes lit up and I smiled wide. This was the reason I wanted to go for a ride. I wanted to cheer her up and have her see Cy again. I also wished to see Cy again.