Part 1

TJ's POV

The girls run across the court, passing the basketball between each other until it's swiped by the other team, which only takes about ten seconds. Buffy is the only one who isn't constantly on the edge of double dribbling. She's the best on the team, but I admitted her skill a bit too late for her to get over how I treated her like shit when she was on the boys' team, and she's too stubborn to even consider that I might've actually changed. 

The only reason I'm here is because Cyrus invited me, and I'll take any chance to spend time with him, even if that chance does involve watching his obnoxious friend's basketball game. Cyrus is worth a lot more than some dumb feud. I just wish Buffy would see that, but she's too busy dwelling on the past. 

After finding Cyrus on the bleachers, I go up to sit down beside him. Andi and Jonah are both too focused on the game to notice me, but Cyrus gives me a smile immediately. 

"I thought you might not come," he says. "I know you aren't exactly Buffy's biggest fan."

"She's your friend," I respond, "so I want her to like me."

"She doesn't have to like you for me to be friends with you," Cyrus reminds me. 

"I know." But I don't want to just be friends with you. "I don't like having bad blood. I'd rather this stupid rivalry, or whatever we have, just be over."

"You actually care what Buffy thinks of you?"

"I'd rather not have your best friend talking shit about me to you," I admit, "since that'd probably influence what you think of me."

"Not really," Cyrus counters. "I became friends with a girl she used to think was a snorpion even though she didn't like her."

That's comforting to hear that I don't have to worry too much about Buffy getting in the way of me trying to be with Cyrus. But still, being friends with your friend's enemy is a lot different than dating them. I'd rather not have Buffy ranting to Cyrus about how much she hates me. 

"Hey," Andi suddenly chirps, pointing toward the doors to the gym, "Buffy's mom came."

I look over to the woman trying to walk toward the bleachers without diverting any attention away from the game. She gives Buffy a wave when Buffy looks over, and the teenager lights up. Unfortunately, her distraction gives the other team the opportunity to snatch the ball from her, and Buffy goes running after it. 

"She hasn't been able to come to see any of her games," Andi goes on. "Buffy must be so happy."

"Didn't her mom come to the boys' games when she was on the team?" I cut in. 

"That was her aunt," Cyrus explains. "She stayed with her while her mom was away."

"What about her dad?" 

"He left when she was young," Cyrus answers, "but she doesn't like to talk about that."

"Sorry," I say, feeling bad for bringing it up. 

"Did your parents come to your games?" Cyrus asks, trying to change the conversation onto a lighter note. 

"My mom did," I say. "She came to every game."

"Where was your dad?" 

"Brookfield Cemetery," I reply. 

When Cyrus's eyes turn sad, I realize I should probably explain more to ease his worry. 

"He died when I was a baby," I say. "It's nothing new. I've gotten past it."

"Oh. I'm sorry," Cyrus mutters.