Part 3

Buffy's POV

The locker door rattles as I open it and shove my backpack inside. 

"I know nothing about Aztec history, but somehow I have to do a project on it to prep for some book," I complain. 

Marty listens tentatively, but the grin on his face seems to clash with my current feelings on my situation. 

"Do you like seeing me stressed?" I question. 

His smile cracks into a small laugh. "Buffy, you know you'll do fine. You always do fine."

"Well, there's a first time for everything," I respond. 

"Speaking of the Aztecs," he says, "There's this new roller rink next to my sister's store that opened last week. Do you wanna go after school?"

"Marty, that has nothing to do with the Aztecs."

"My sister owns a chocolate store," he reasons. 

I grin at that, accepting the fact that that's probably as closely related the two topics will get.

"Sounds fun," I say. "Can I invite Andi, Cyrus and Jonah too?"

His smile falters a little, and he hesitates for a second before replying, "Sure, yeah."

"Buffy!" comes a voice behind me. 

I spin around to see Kaitlin speed-walking past the other kids in the hall to get to me. When she reaches me, she puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Colton is coming," she alerts me. "Act natural."

I roll my eyes as she crosses her arms and leans against the lockers, pretending not to notice as the boy comes around the corner. Kaitlin seems to be the only girl whose glance he doesn't steal, but I know she's working hard to keep herself from looking over. Even I find myself watching as the attractive boy with the chiselled jaw and crooked smile. 

I only realize I'm staring when I hear Marty let out a huff and shake his head, but it's too late to do anything, because Colton's walking past me now. To my surprise, he notices me and gives me a nod.

"Hey," he says. 

"Uh, hi," I respond. 

He smiles at me for another second before continuing on down the hall. Immediately when he's gone, Kaitlin turns to me and squeals, which makes my grin expand times a hundred, but Marty isn't impressed. 

"What's the big deal with Colton?" Marty groans. 

"Well," Kaitlin starts, "he's the captain of the soccer team, not to mention really cute, and did you see those eyes?"

"I don't get it," Marty says. "Why do girls fall all over him?"

"It's a huge popularity thing," I say. "He commands respect and attention, so if you're with him, you're everything."

"Exactly," Kaitlin agrees. "Like, if I were dating him, people might actually start to respect the girls' basketball team."

"He seems pretty arrogant if you ask me," Marty comments. 

Kaitlin tilts her head, saying, "You don't need to feel threatened by him—"

"I'm not threatened by him," Marty denies. 

"Of course not," Kaitlin says sarcastically. Then she looks to me. "I'm gonna head to class.. I'll see you later."

 She spins around and takes off toward her first class, and I return to the conversation Marty and I were having before Kaitlin showed up.