the long way

jughead helped betty into the car, closed her door, and jogged around to the driver's side and climbed in. "the bag—" "is in the back" he interrupted her. "okay" she breathed out, clearly in a small state of shock. "are you okay?" he asked pausing after he put the key in the ignition. "i'm... i'm scared, jug" betty admitted looking over with tears in her eyes. "hey..." he put his hand on her cheek "hey... you are ready for this. i am going to be with you the entire time." he lowered his voice "i promise." betty forced a smile and nodded, leaning in for a kiss. "shadow lake" she mumbled. "betts..." jughead knew she didn't want to have the baby in riverdale, but shadow lake was just over an hour away. "jug, please" betty closed her eyes "in case something goes wrong, i want—oh!" "betty??" she leaned forward grabbing the door handle and jughead's thigh. "betts, breathe, babe" he rubbed her back as she painted for about a minute. he glanced at the clock that read 12:40. "breathe" he whispered shifting the car into reverse and backing out of the driveway "jug—i just— ow...ah... i—" "shh... it's okay, betty; we are going to the hospital" she nodded gasping and squeezing her eyes shut. he blew through the stop sign at the end of their street turning left— towards shadow lake. he felt sick to his stomach thinking about how far away it was, but if his wife felt more comfortable there, then he would get her there as quickly as he could. betty reached over feeling for jughead's hand and squeezed it "thank you" she sighed. "anything for you, juliet" he signed rolling his eyes and bringing her hand up to his lips to kiss it.