out of time

"help her inside" jan instructed as she pulled into what jughead assumed must be her driveway "i have to get some stuff set up" she explained rushing inside. stroking his wife's hair, jughead opened the door and led her out "i am so sorry, sweetheart" he apologized for probably the hundredth time "you are so strong— so brave; i am so sorry" "it's okay..." she paused trying to catch her breath "it's okay, jughead" she let him pick her up out of the car and carry her into the house, without arguing this time. "where—" jughead started looking around the entrance to jan's place. "bring her in here" he heard jan call from down a hallway to his right. as he started walking, betty's arms around his neck tightened "ahh— jug—ahh" she yelled. "we are almost here" jughead promised turning into the room jan was in. "no! ahhhh! jughead, it feels..." she couldn't finish her thought because she involuntarily let out a high pitched whine. "put her on the bed" jan said quickly running out of the room. "what?" jughead asked setting her down on a sheet jan must have placed down to cover the comforter "what do you feel?" he asked anxiously. "i need..." she paused to breathe "he—he's—he is coming— i need to push" betty said almost in a way that sounded like she was asking if she could or not. "are you sure?" jughead looked into her eyes. "medics are on their way" jan walked back in with a phone between her ear and her shoulder and towels in her arms. "jan!" jughead whipped around and looked at her, panicked. "betty says she has to push"