Deleted Scene #1 ("Where Am I?"/"Who's Kousei?")

CAUTION - SPOILERS

(This scene is intended to appear between the chapters 41 [A Lost Soul/Metaphorical Trigger] and 42 [Fading Away]).

-----

On August 2nd, Kaori and Hiroko decided to visit the hospital where Kousei was being kept. Kaori looked at her phone. The Saskatchewan Roughriders had defeated the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, 25-20. She looked contently. "Look at that, the Riders won today." she said. They finally reached Kousei's room. There he was, just looking placid and blank, which most of his body wrapped in bandages, and his chest was exposed.

Who are you two? What is my name...? Kousei said with a somewhat blank expression through a tablet computer. His glasses were missing; it wasn't known to him yet, but not even his glasses would save his rapidly fading eyesight; he could also only barely hear the two women. He was moving slowly as well, and the biggest sign that his amnesia had gotten worse was on full display here. His speech had been further impaired, as well. Unfortunately, 

"You know me, Kousei Arima." Kaori said. "It's me, Kaori Miyazono, and your guardian, Hiroko Seto." Kousei then sighed, rolled his eyes and said I'm sorry. I don't know who Kousei Arima is....

Kaori then sighed with abject frustration. "OMG, you can't even remember your own name! This is what this goddamn brain damage has done to you!!" Hiroko then told Kaori to calm down momentarily. "It is okay, Kaori... please calm down. The pain and the scars are quite ugly and painful."

As Hiroko stated, Kousei's scars from the head trauma were becoming quite obvious. His head had also been partially dented now. Hiroko then went up to him and snapped her fingers. "Kousei.... are you there?"

Kousei still couldn't recognize things. Yes, Hiroko? Who's Kousei Arima? Where am I? Am I in Canada? Hiroko informed him "No, you're in Japan. And Kousei Arima is you. You're Kousei Arima." Kousei then said Oh. I'm still here? What.... what happened to me? I can't remember where I was last. I was meeting Kaori's folks and then I blacked out.

Hiroko was realizing that Kousei's amnesia, brought on by head trauma, was worse than before. "OK, I'll tell you what happened. You were hit by a bus. Your head got hit on a concrete curb, and this is why you're here right now.

Kousei came to his senses. My god! This is what happened to me?! What am I thinking?! Why am I speaking through a computer? Hiroko then briefed him. "You also broke your spine as you came down. Tragically, this means you can no longer play the piano again, or even walk. The MRIs taken of you, well.... yeah. Your brain has been so badly damaged, tragically..... it breaks my heart to say this to you, Kousei.... this is why you said you couldn't remember your name, or why you thought you were in Canada..... you have this thing called Crutzfeldt-Jacob syndrome; and we're not sure how you got it; we think you inherited it from Saki..... hang in there, my dear Kousei....."

Kaori then came over to him, and Kousei started to cry. He couldn't form any sentences. Kaori was understandably heartbroken, and shed a few tears with Hiroko and Kousei.

This was a sign that the once-promising pianist prodigy was now finding his whole world was turning back into monochrome..... and even towards pitch black.