Chapter 4

The ballroom was aglow with light and laughter for the first time since it all began

The ballroom was aglow with light and laughter for the first time since it all began. A string quartet played a jaunty tune that traveled towards the head table like a spring breeze. It was the grisha's presence that made the difference. There was the sweet taste of hope on their tongues.

Olenna's cheeks ached from smiling. Polite greetings and empty compliments flew in dizzying circles through her mind. She recognized a handful of the faces from previous occasions and inquired about how their families or businesses were faring, not that she could remember anything beyond that. She praised those for their exquisite taste in keftas or gowns and poured sugar syrup over every interaction. She would look pretty and make their subjects feel more special than they were. That was her duty to her country.

Despite it all, Olenna felt warmth bloom inside her chest. Goodness wove through the night's events. Olenna smiled from her spot at the head table, watching as a young Grisha girl looked close to tears of joy as a bowl of steaming borscht was set before her. How long had it been since the girl had a meal she didn't steal or beg for? It couldn't have been easy for the Grisha displaced in the conflict to survive. They were home and safe now, and Alina, with the help of Nikolai and Olenna, would ensure they stayed that way.

Olenna spotted a group of five Grisha with their heads dipped low in conversation. The mood of the older Grisha was less exultant and warier. They weren't so easy to trust. She couldn't blame them. She, too, was on edge with every new player to join the board. Olenna recognized the striking beauty of Zoya Nazyalensky among them. The blue and silver kefta of a squaller, hair braided back and tied with a simple satin blue ribbon. She'd easily slipped back into the role of a leader to the other Grisha. They looked up to her and respected her opinions.

To Olenna's astonishment, it had been Zoya who was the loudest voice in support of Alina's leadership. Last Olenna checked the squaller was vehement against Alina being in the Second Army at all. But it seemed The Darkling's betrayal had changed even Zoya's allegiances. With Zoya backing Alina's position as General, the Grisha had fallen back into their old places, willing to fight for the chance at a better Ravka.

Nikolai's friends, Tamar and Tolya, had slipped into the group effortlessly and could be seen chatting with Nadia and her little brother, Adrik. It seemed they had everyone charmed, everyone except for the princess. Olenna wasn't sure what to think of her brother's entourage. Were they from his privateering or from something else he failed to mention? She was suspicious, to say the least. Who knew who they were truly loyal to? In a time of turmoil like this, any unknown was more than Olenna was comfortable with.