Chapter 10

The mission was more interesting than she thought. While Wally stayed with Dick until midnight, both just watching some television and playing some games, Artemis came to dismiss Wally from his shift only to see Dick sleeping against the redhead while said redhead was using his phone, his face content with everything.

She had the midnight to 4 AM shift but seeing Wally not even complaining about being up late made her guilty for relieving him off duty. The speedster probably didn't see his boyfriend as often as he would like since living the life as both hero and civilian can be quite tough. Though she was still angry that the speedster was dating someone despite all his flirtatious moves against girls and what seemed to be a secret crush on the Boy Wonder, she knocked on the door softly to get the redhead's attention without waking the sleeping boy.

Wally seemed to deflate a bit after seeing her there, only remembering now why he was there and what the risks of the mission if they were to fail.

"Is it okay if we switch shifts?" she remembered him asking her, his voice soft. "My shift later is the three to seven pm shift."

She didn't know why she said yes but she did so she found herself shuffling back to her room, questioning everything she knew about the speedster.

It was now time for breakfast with Superboy on shift at the moment, the archer found herself eating some toast and egg with the rest of her team save Superboy and Kid Flash. The speedster ate his breakfast earlier than the rest of them and went to sleep telling them to wake him up by lunch.

"So, we're only going to make rounds for the rest of the day unless it's our shift right?" Megan asked over breakfast.

Their leader nodded as he finished his breakfast, placing his used utensils and plate by the counter. "Yes, if any is to occur, contact us via comms or mind-link."

The two girls nodded and quickly finished their breakfast as well, and placing their plates by the counter as well. The three of them deciding what parts of the house they were going to cover with Artemis taking the west wing, where Dick's room was located, Megan taking the east wing, where their rooms were, and Kaldur taking the entrance and outside lawn.

It was an hour after Superboy's shift, with Miss Martian replacing him and telling him to make his rounds in the east wing when something outside the window caught Artemis' attention. She quickly grabbed her bow and readied an arrow but the motion was gone which threw her off. She was sure she saw something move past the window but that was impossible, she was on the third floor.

"I saw something move from the outside! Third floor, west wing!" she yelled in the mind-link. She quickly ran to where the direction the motion was going to only to realize it was headed for Dick's room. "It's heading to Dick's room, Megan!"

She ran faster and kicked the door open only to see a redhead girl in the room, the balcony doors open. Miss Martian stood in the room, confused while Dick just sat calmly on his bed, smiling at the unknown girl.

"Who are you?" Artemis growled, taking aim at the girl.

The redhead seemed to look like the same age as Dick and didn't seem dangerous but that didn't mean that she wasn't, her years in Gotham taught her that much.

For someone who had an arrow aimed at her, the unknown girl seemed unbothered and just stared at Dick.

"These are the people tasked to protect you?" the girl asked, looking at the archer and martian skeptically, completely ignoring Artemis.

"Hey! They're doing their job! Besides if I didn't let you in, pretty sure Miss Martian would have knocked you down by now," Dick said in an accusing tone but it was obvious he was enjoying what was happening.

Kid Flash suddenly zoomed in, still in his pajamas but calmed down when he saw the unknown girl. He suddenly smiled and gave her a high five.

"Barbara! It's nice to see you again!" the speedster greeted.

Artemis, who was still confused at was going down, slowly let her bow down slightly calmed down that Dick and Wally knew the girl though it was suddenly replaced by anger.

"Excuse me," she growled. "We still don't know who you are and how you got pass not only the guards but us as well."

It was at that moment both Aqualad and Superboy came into the room, ready to attack but was excusably shocked that everything seemed to be okay.

No one spoke as Aqualad surveyed the room, his eyes scanning everything to make sure he got every single detail.

He then turned to Miss Martian and Artemis, his face calm yet stern.

"U-uh, I was just talking with Dick when Artemis said that she saw someone from outside," Miss Martian explained. "I was about to check what she was talking about when there was loud knocking from the balcony. I was about to knock them out with my telekinesis when Dick said that everything was fine and to open the doors. That was when Artemis came into the room."

"You know you can just ask who I am, right? I'm literally right here," the girl, who Wally called Barbara, said in exasperation.

"I did but you never answered so I'll ask again, who are you?" Artemis said with a slight growl in her voice.

Barbara seemed to ignore the snark and answered while walking to sit beside Dick, who seemed pleased with her presence. "I'm Barbara Gordon, daughter of the Commissioner here in Gotham. I attend Gotham High with Dick, been friends since we were nine. Met Wally when he and Dick were still best friends. I came here to visit him after hearing that he was shot yesterday."

"So you decided to sneak into the Manor and climb up to the third floor? Why not call?" Wally asked, laughing at how she said she just had a walk in the park and not break in.

"Duh," Barbara answered like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Knowing Bruce, he would have most probably set this whole place in lockdown, no one goes in and no one goes out. My dad also told me to stay put since they might target me for being friends with Dick so I snuck out and came here."

"This place is in lockdown?" Superboy asked.

"Well not really but I just wanted to visit my friend," Barbara said cheerfully.

The team, besides the speedster, was shocked by how natural she was acting as she did it all the time.

"Seeing that you scared the crap out of them, I think it would be better if you just stayed over or at least call before you come," Dick snickered.

This mission was definitely more interesting.