Chapter 1

"How dare you!" My mother slapped me in the face, leaving behind a stinging pain on my cheek. I felt warm blood trickle down my nose and onto my lips. My mother stood before me breathing heavily, her face rosy with anger. The jagged pink scar across her right cheek made her evil face look sinister.  She slowly clenched her fists and slugged me in the stomach. My breath left in a giant whoosh and I gasped for air. I wanted to run away to the open door behind her, but all I could do was sit there. We were in an abandoned train station, dried leaves and garbage were scattered across the dusty floor.I gained my breath back appreciating every inhale and exhale

         "I had to. You were..." She cut me off with a kick in the jaw. I immediately tasted iron from the blood.

          "We will continue on another day. It seems you have a visitor."

         My eyes opened, I felt my face to make sure nothing was broken. But I swear I still tasted  blood.

      I drove myself back to reality, hearing some rustling in the leaves outside, I smelled the familiar stench of…  cheap cologne. The cologne was terribly overwhelming, and all it smelled like was alcohol (not the drinking kind) and a bit of lavender. I wrinkled my nose in irritation. The stench brought back a trunkful of memories I had tried to forget. The culprit of the foul aroma was Garret Fox. Garret sat next to me at school and pestered me like an invincible fly. I wasn't scared of the insecure fool, but he was so annoying! The only thing I was scared of was my mother.  I jumped at the knock on the door. I cleared my throat, getting ready to imitate an old man. I used this disguise to trick anyone who dropped by for a visit.  I didn’t want anyone to know who I truly was. If someone did they would catch me like they always did.

“Get off the lawn of my new mansion you maggots!” I croaked in my geezer voice.

“Make me! Old man!” his deep obnoxious voice said.

I got out of the rickety oldbed muttering in my old man voice. I put on an old worn robe with a hood that I had sort of dug for in the dumpster. What? I needed one and if I bought it, it wouldn't have felt so old and grimy. I opened the door and screamed “GO AWAY!” I heard Garret gasp and then 50 steps in the leaves going out of the forest. I took off my hood and soaked in the sun, sensing where the sun’s direction was coming from I guessed that it was about 10:00 am. I soon heard ten distant chimes coming from the city’s clock, and I smiled in satisfaction. I took a deep breath and enjoyed every minute of not being in pain. I was used to the dreams, they came almost every night. It was the same thing but different places and different times. My smile vanished. I got that feeling...again. It was almost constant. I was being watched and followed. I felt those unknown eyes spying on me. It was stupid, that probably wasn't true. I had battled with it for years; mostly, I just pushed it away and threw it in the pile of my other problems. This paranoia had held me prisoner for what seemed like decaades.

I went inside brushed my teeth and tried to fix myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, well it came out more like two slices of bread in a pool of a peanut-jelly solution. I remember my mother used to make these for me. Either way it was pretty good. I changed out of my pajamas and got ready to go to the library.

I got my cane and went on the familiar route to the library. I soon got there and heard the familiar greeting from Mrs. Hale the librarian. The smell of books and paper filled my nostrils, and the sounds of gentle whispering filled my head. I went to my spot by the braille section. I sat at a rectangular table, I new it was near a window because I could feel heat coming from the sun in one certain direction. I got out the book I had started yesterday, “The Count of Monte Cristo” by Alexander Dumas. I was still in the beginning but was dying to get to the end. I felt the words and tried to pull myself into the action of the promising book. “Though stunned and almost suffocated, Dantes had yet the presence of mind…”

I felt a being sit at the chair across from me, it set down 3 books two thin ones and a really thick one. I looked up from my book and set my head straight ahead. Perhaps, I was making some sort of eye contact with this strange being.

“Hi!” it said, their voice sounded friendly, cheerful, and feminine. I assumed it was a girl, but hey, you can never be too sure.

“Are you evil? Do you want to catch me? Well, I’m not going with you.”

“No, no, I’m just a girl who needs a friend.”

“Oh, okay, I was just checking.” I smiled and heard her giggle, and then silence, my smile vanished. Had I offended her? Had she realized who she was talking to? I don’t know but I wanted to trust this girl whoever she may be. It wasn’t like me to talk to people like this. I was always cautious and aware of my surroundings, scratch that, I was paranoid. It could have been a trap, but who cares I was tired of running.

“If you don’t want to shake my hand, that’s, that’s okay.” Her voice’s return surprised me.

“Oh, I thought you left for a second there.” I reached out my hand and her hand touched mine. I couldn’t believe it; I was actually touching another human being. Her hand was long, thin, and warm. We released each other and we began to talk.

“Well what’s your name?” she asked.

“Jeremiah Newman and you?”

“My name is Amelia Jones.”

The conversation continued on after that, we had many opinions in common and we talked for quite a while. Before I knew it the clock rang 1 time.

“Oh, I’m going to be late. I’m sorry I have to go Jeremiah.”

“Oh, it is okay I have to go to.” It was a lie but I didn’t want her to feel bad.

“Hey I’m having a party at my house tomorrow do you want to come?”

My heart jumped for joy, I had never been invited to a party before. “Yeah sure, when and where?”

“Here, let me write it down for you.” I heard shuffling of papers.

“Um, Amelia?”

The papers stopped. “Yeah?”

“I’m blind.” I thought about what I was doing; she probably wouldn’t invite me to the party anymore.

“Oh, do you have a stylus so that you can write it down in braille?” she acted like it was a simple inconvenience that she always had to put up with. I was so shocked at her reply I almost forgot to answer.

“Um, yeah.” I took out my small notepad and stylus from my back pocket that I always carried around with me.

“It’s at my house 17766 Peach tree Ln., at 12:00 pm.”

Okay, I have to admit it. I had a slight crush on Amelia. Okay it wasn’t slight, it was real. But that’s insane! I don’t even know what she looks like! I barely met her! Am I right? Besides she could be another mad scientist after me!

Geez this love stuff is confusing.