Chapter 6: Secrets

Chapter 6: Secrets

  It had been a few hours since the conversation. It was around six and I had done nothing but lie around. Groaning and rubbing my eyes, I forced myself to get up. I had sat on the couch, the floor, and on the other couch thinking about everything Zach had told me. The coffee table conveniently had a used notebook and a pen along with scattered magazines and a newspaper. I tore out two pages and flicked off the pen cap. Okay, let's see. I glided the pen gracefully in between the thin blue lines making notes of all Zach had said to me. My list sort of looked like this:

THINGS TO REMEMBER:

-The Rio is my families enemy. They have become Zach's group's enemy as well (mental note: ask Zach what that would be)

-Mrs. Scheurs and my fake parents abandoned me.

-The Rio were onto Zach's group's failing plan and could've killed me tonight.

-My father is dead: killed by the Rio.

-My mother may be dead: taken by Rio.

-Zach use to be my old best friend.

-I have no memory of my childhood.

  Letting out a burst of air, I got a strand of brown hair out of my eyes. "Isn't this list promising," I muttered under my breath. I carefully folded the note and shoved it into my hoodie pocket. Straightening up when I heard the doorknob turn, I looked up at the person from under my lashes. It was Zach's father.

"Lauren, how are you doing? I heard Zach told you.. a lot," his eyes flashed a look of concern, "I came to see if you needed anything."

  I forced a small smile, "I'm doing okay, thanks." I said, my voice strained. He saw right through the lie; I moved on. "One other thing: can you please get me out of this room? It's suffocating me!" I emphasized the "please" with a groan and threw my arms in the air so he would get how badly I wanted out. He hesitated. I lowered my gaze to the carpet beneath me, running my fingers over the soft fluff. The brief conversation had grown awkward; I wanted to close my eyes and will him away. Shutting my eyes would only bring back the fear that lingered in the darkness, though for so long it had been my security blanket to hide me from the world.

"Not now, dear. No one can see you yet. It isn't safe.." he trailed off. Looking back up into his eyes, he continued, "Unless you want to be bombarded with questions. They will most likely take tests on you to make sure you are.. you."

  Tests and questions. Those didn't sound too great right now, but I really wanted a tour of this place. Who knows? Maybe I could start remembering. That reminds me: I need to ask why I didn't remember anything. I groaned again; why must everything happen to me? The carpet looked like a good place avert my gaze. I pretended to admire its fluffy white softness as I thought over what he had said.

"Fine. I will talk to you instead. Now, why don't I remember anything?"

Nervous, he shuffled his feet and looked down. "I don't think you are allowed to know and-"

Jumping up, I stomped the ground. "Why can't I know? It's my mind. My life. It's not yours to control!" I asked glaring at him viciously.

  Sighing, he entered the room, shutting the door with a click, and headed to the couch on the right. "Look, right now everything is complicated. Now that you are here, it is even more complicated. Zach didn't have to save you, but he did. You were in danger, but now your safe. Safer, at least. If you could please be patient with us, it will help us all out. People around here don't always have the best temper."

"Fine. Whatever. I won't be able to fight the urge to leave for too long. Can you tell me more about this "group" that you are involved in?" I asked curiously. I was honestly very intrigued by the whole thing. I mean, I am pretty sure we didn't go outside when Zach threw me over his shoulder. The temperature dropped slowly. Could we have gone down or somehow poofed here? Ridiculous, I know. I have a big imagination.

He stood up and brushed imaginary dirt off his trousers. "All in time, dear. All in time."

 I angrily watched as he left with those words. I never liked the idea of secrets. Especially when I was involved in them one way or another! Yet, there is nothing I can do. I am pretty sure they have weapons and needles around here somewhere. They could put me out, hurt me, contain me, put me under, run tests- STOP! My anxiety gets the best of me sometimes. I've learned to stop the attacks before they get too bad. Knowing that I was pretty much helpless, I crawled onto the couch and let a scream into a pillow. I hope I am not going to be trapped in here too long, I thought as I slipped my finger into my pocket and felt the list, my only way to keep track of what was going on. How did my life get so complicated so fast?

-------------

So wow. I haven't posted in quite a while. This chapter is kind of bad and a filler, but I decided to post it so I don't lost ALL the readers. If you have stuck with it this long, THANK YOU. I just have a ton going on right now, sorry. Please forgive me! Vote and comment(: