Questions Part Two

"I can tell." Helen nodded with a slight smile, her expression suddenly somber as she looked up at the ceiling and then back at me. "Lauren, someone launched a formal investigation on Dr. Frome."

"A formal investigation?" I was more than surprised as Iggy had always been a great friend and coworker since the day I started working at New Amsterdam. "Who?"

"Although I can't go into detail, this person believed some boundaries were crossed and it took a while to sort everything out. The only problem is that Iggy seems to be shaken by what happened."

"I guess that makes sense as to why he wasn't himself when he stopped by the other day." Things were beginning to make more sense, especially when you had all the missing pieces. It was a different world when you couldn't get up and talk to people. You had to rely on others to get the information. "It's not easy when you're called out on something."

"I kind of know the feeling," I muttered under my breath while realizing for the first time that Dr. Frome and I were going through similar situations having our abilities tested as doctors. If I could even call myself that anymore.

"If anything, you and Iggy are some of the best doctors in this hospital," Helen stated, clearly addressing the elephant in the room. "I don't know how I'm going to get through the day without your witty remarks."

"I'm sure you'll find a way." I encouraged her, even though I felt my stomach sinking at the prospect of what the future held. There were so many emotions I was sorting through, I didn't know what I was doing anymore. A part of me just wanted to leave and never look back.

Another part wanted to convince me and everyone around me that I was coming back to New Amsterdam after all. "If not, I can always text you plenty of sarcastic remarks to get you through your day. When I actually have my phone in my hand."

"I think it was damaged in the crash."

"The crash, right. I figured as much." Picking at the blanket again, I grabbed the remote, getting ready to busy myself with mindless television. "I guess I haven't wanted to know too many of the details, even though I've heard about it from lots of people. It was bad, wasn't it?"

"Extremely." Helen took in a deep breath, her expression suddenly turned grim. "I suppose I haven't wanted to know a lot about the crash either. It's like my brain isn't physically able to process everything that's happened. But I'm also guessing we'll either choose to learn about it or go running out the door when we do." I laughed, feeling the tension dissipate just a little. It felt good to laugh, even though it hurt. It also felt good to know that not everything was alright with her either, which made me feel a little better.

"You never told me how things were going with you and Dr. Panthaki." Dr. Akash Panthaki is a good-looking Indian American doctor that also works at New Amsterdam. "What? I saw the way you were always looking at him when he was nearby."

"He wanted me to come to Brussels with him. And I might have said no." She squinted, her voice rising and full of regret because of her decision. "I have no idea what I was thinking when I told him this. I thought he would be understanding because we both shared what it's like to deal with patients who were going through chemotherapy. Instead, he looked at me like I had betrayed him and walked right out the door."

"You gave up going to Brussels because of Max?" I stated softly, readjusting myself so I felt a little more comfortable and this time while digging into my friend's love life.

"I know there was a time when no one could keep me from traveling, and I would have much rather been on an airplane instead of helping my patients." Casting her gaze down towards the floor, she then settled on a spot near the door. "I had forgotten what being a doctor meant. Then Max came along and he helped me rediscover my love of medicine, something I had been struggling with for a while."

"Ah, so this is about you helping Max because he helped you."

"I guess in a way it is." She stated thoughtfully, giving a gentle nod in my direction. "Call it what you want, but I've never had anyone willing to take command and be so willing to change things for the better. Not only did he help me, but he also helped just about everyone in this hospital."

"I agree." I thought back to my earlier conversation with Max, his wide-eyed expression floating back to me as he placed Luna in my arms. It made me realize Helen had a point. Although he hadn't said a word about it, his body language clearly screamed he was overwhelmed and needed help.

"I should let you get some rest."

"Before you do, can you tell the nurses to lift the no-visitors rule?" I stated before I knew what was coming out of my mouth. The truth was it was starting to get kind of lonely in here when you only had a few magazines and a television to keep you company.

"I will let them know." Standing up, she tugged at her shirt and proceeded to leave the room. "Are you sure you want everyone coming here again?"

"No." I chuckled softly, while silently agreeing with her. "But I have to admit, television isn't what it's cut out to be. I hardly watched it as a kid. Why should I start now?" I half teased, hoping she would get what I was trying to say. Words weren't really coming to me right now."

"So, limited visitors then?"

"Limited visitors would be great." I sighed, thankful she understood my request. I was almost relieved as she cast a friendly smile in my direction. It was nice to know we still had some kind of connection.

"I will let  the nurse's desk know."

"Thank you."