Chapter 2: Meeting the Other Companions

It was beautiful summer morning. Adira packed up her few belongings she had, and tied them to the back of Aurora. It would take her at-least four days to get there. She climbed onto the back of her mount and nudged her gently to get her going at a steady pace. She didn't want her horse to go to fast or else she would get tired sooner. It would also give her some time to think about things, like who these others were? What would she do if they discovered what she really was?

Once the sun died down, Adira made a fire and set up a spot to sleep near with her bow beside her. One more day and she would arrive at her destination and she was not looking forward to it. She did not do well when she was with others, but she already agreed to help, but soon as her deed was done, she was gone. She wasn't coming on this quest to make friends or any of the sorts. The woman woke up bright and early. She quickly got everything packed up and covered up her tracks so no one would know she had even been there.

Adira was on the back of her Aurora, singing quietly to herself to pass the time. She remembered hearing it when she was just an infant child, but she was too young to remember who it was that sang it to her every night. It wasn't her mother, but it seemed to stick with her growing up.

"Lay down

Your sweet and weary head

Night is falling

You've come to journey's end

Sleep now

And dream of the ones who came before

They are calling

From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?

What are these tears upon your face?

Soon you will see

All of your fears will pass away

Safe in my arms

You're only sleeping

What can you see

On the horizon?

Why do the white gulls call?

Across the sea

A pale moon rises

The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn

To silver glass

A light on the water

All souls pass

Hope fades

Into the world of night

Through shadows falling

Out of memory and time

Don't say: We have come now to the end

White shores are calling

You and I will meet again

And you'll be here in my arms

Just sleeping

And all will turn

To silver glass

A light on the water

Grey ships pass

Into the West "

The song always made her think of her homeland. It was such a beautiful place, her people were so wonderful; always helping others in need. But then someone found out what she was. Adira felt a tear come down her face. She didn't mean for the way things happen. Her mother warned her what would happen if people discovered her "gift". She saw it as a curse. She was in the woods, playing near the river alone. A man had spotted her and saw what she could do and ran back to warn the others. Adira went home later that day and discovered her mother dead in the kitchen. They were waiting for her next, but when it came time to do it, none could bare the thought of harming a young child and they banished her, and warned her if they ever saw her again; they would kill her.

Adira cleared the tears that had streamed down her face and didn't realize that she had already made it into the Shire. She was in deep thought about the past longer than she imagined. It was growing dark out. She noticed the odd hobbit still outside walking through the village to get back to their hole in the ground, but then stopped to look at the young woman that was on a horse passing through.

Hobbit's were not accustomed to having travelers coming through their homeland, they were skeptical of outsiders, it disrupted their normal routine. Adira peered around, keeping an eye out for the strange mark that the wizard had previously mention would be on the door of their host. She wandered further up the path, looking around and sure enough she found a very distinctive mark on a door, that was glowing. She got off Aurora and tied her to the fence side so she could eat some grass. Adira walked up the steps and stood before the door and knocked on it three times. She could hear the shouts of numerous voices on the other side. Adira was growing impatient fast and was about to knock on the door again when it swung open.

"Can I help you?" The hobbit asked, as he tried to keep himself composed.

"Yes, I'm here for the meeting. Is the wizard here?" She asked, looking down at the flustered little man.

"Y-yes, come on in. Their all in here." The hobbit insisted, not bothering to prevent her from coming in. Adira had to duck as she stepped into the home, causing the hobbit to stumble back and she dumped her bag and bow in a corner and wandered through the hobbit hole, looking for the wizard. As she walked further down the hall, dwarves began to appear throughout the home, doing only two things drinking ale, and stuffing their face full of food.

"And who are you?" A dwarf question, holding his blade at her throat. Adira smirked, not all afraid that she had an axe aimed at her throat.

"I'm someone you don't want to mess with. Now remove your weapon away from me." She threatened. The dwarves gathered around to get a better look at their new arrival. The hobbit was on the edge of yanking his hair out. He didn't understand what all these dwarves were doing in his home.

"Brother. What is the matter with you? Remove your blade from this poor girl's throat." A dwarf with pure white hair ordered the bald headed one.

"Poor girl as if. You don't think I can't feel the blade she has aimed at my side." He growled, not removing his.

"I'll remove mine, once you remove yours." She declared.

"W-what is going on here!?" The hobbit panicked, unsure of what was happening.

"What is the meaning of this. Remove your axe, Dwalin you fool. She is here at my request." Gandalf roared, coming into the middle of the group.

"Well the lass could have mentioned that sooner." Dwalin hissed, removing his weapon from her as she did the same.

"Hmm now why would I want to take the fun out of that?" She smirked, causing the others to slightly chuckle.

"Hmph." The dwarf grumbled as he left to another room. And the others went back to doing their own thing.

"Adira, glad to see you made it alright. I was beginning to wonder if you were going to show up." He declared, raising an eyebrow at her.

"I'm here aren't I?" She snarled. The wizard let out a sigh, she had been living in the wild for far too long.

"I see were going to have to work on your interaction skills, your out of practice." The wizard insisted, as he let a slight laugh escape his lips until he saw her face went serious, not finding this funny one bit. While they were talking the dwarves had begun to sing a song, making the hobbit even more exasperated with this race.

"I didn't come here to interact with anyone Gandalf. I came here, because you believe I am needed on this quest. That is all I'm here for."

"That cold heart of yours Adira is going to kill you one of these days." Gandalf pressed Adira gave him one last annoyed look and walked away, knocking into a dwarf. She looked down to see it was a blonde dwarf.

"Sorry about that. Are you alright?" He asked.

"I'm fine." Adira muttered and kept going back down the hall, leaving the dwarf there staring after her. She went into the hobbit's room were a fire was going and she sat down in a chair, her face falling into her hands. Wondering why she agreed to this in the first place. She ran her fingers through her hair when she suddenly heard three loud knocks at the door and wondered who else the wizard had invited to come on this quest.