7: THE QUARREL

CLIFF

“Don't raise your voice at me, Bimpe," my dad ordered as calmly as he could. He was a very patient man unlike my mother.

"Oh! now, you can call me by my name, it's no more darling  sweetie...honey bla...bla ?", Mom snapped.

Knowing it was because of our cook and guardian that my parents were in a disagreement, I only listened carefully to the hot arguments.

"I thought I was the one concerned with the household workers so, why did you have to fire the cook and the guardian?", Mom shouted.

My dad didn't respond as everywhere was as silent as a graveyard, it was as if there was no living soul in the building that housed more than a dozen.

"Bayo, answer me!”, mom screamed suddenly catching me by surprise and then Chloe walked to me, dabbing my back gently.

I almost fainted believing it was some sort of spirit but upon turning my back to Chloe, I felt like slapping her.
Wanting to talk, Chloe shut me up by talking before I could utter a word.

"What are you doing here?", she asked quietly like she knew I was eavesdropping.

Before my response, dad yelled at mom, "I'm the husband in this house, you have to follow my orders!", seems mom got to the height of it, he was someone who never shout.

Startled by my dad's appearance, Chloe and I smiled at him, but he only walked away without taking any look at us.

"You this stupid kids," mom jerked us back from our long stare at dad.

"Who reported the cook and guardian to your dad?", mom questioned, gawking especially at me.

Chloe adjusted her glasses and winked at me.

"Clifford," dad called and I quickly ran to him without any second thought.

Mum drew Chloe to her room by the collar of her black turtle neck dress, she was fully dressed for her friend's birthday party.

Going back into my room, my eyes caught the pen and paper beside my pillow, I'd intended to write to Priss before I heard dad and mum's voice.

Soon, I put the pen to paper and after about fifteen minutes, Chloe entered. We discussed the misunderstanding between our parents as I regretted my actions.

I have never seen both of them raise their voice at each other, though they did have misunderstandings, but they sorted it fast enough without us knowing, but now I really do hope I hadn't reported the cook and guardian to dad.

But then without the cook maybe we could taste mom's food because for as long as I could remember, mom had never prepared food for us, we only got whatever the cook prepared and for the guardian's part, mom was too involved in social engagements than to guide us, she didn't have our time and I doubt she would ever, despite that dad had fired the cook.

Though mom was a full time housewife, but she never exhibited this, she was instead, always finding somewhere to go, dinners and social functions and had actually became a globe trotter, that she desired without any consideration of the effects on her family.

I did wish mom wouldn't get a new guardian to have her attention and if she really needed a guardian for us, she should bring back aunty Foyin because mom was actually the one who fired aunty Foyin just because we were getting too attached to her, she said.

And truly, we shared all our feelings and moments with her. We hardly talked to our mother except when she tried to bring up a conversation with us or when we were having a discussion with dad.

Her greatest allegation against Aunty Foyin was her following us to school when the need arose, without informing our parents when in actual fact, we had been the one that would beg her to come without seeking permit from mom and in many occasions she wouldn't have been home for weeks.

The one that almost brought down everything was  when Chloe who had received an award had dedicated it to aunty Foyin and said she was her mentor and godmother which expectedly incurred the anger of mom. Despite all the aforementioned, we couldn't bear to love mom as much as we loved aunty Foyin.

To say mom was furious couldn't be anything but an understatement, she was like a mad dog with eyes blazing coals of fire and had made life hell for aunty Foyin who tried really hard to bear it due to the love she had for us but mom wasn't satisfied and had fired her, sending her out of the house in the middle of the night without us knowing aunty Foyin's whereabouts.

Few days after aunty Foyin's disappearance, the new guardian came, Chloe and resolved to frustrate her as much as we could be but, she was determined, obviously a mule and then I resorted to reporting her to dad at the slightest of opportunity, if we didn't have aunty Foyin then we need not any guardian.

I do hope you're enjoying the story,cliff who is having rich parents doesn't have their attention and care,how ironic.
Did Cliff do the right thing by reporting?
Remember to vote and leave your comment.Love ya