Chapter 29

On one hand, I couldn't believe Michael brought us here, but on the other, it's completely a Michael thing to do.

It was a small amusement park with small rides and more games than anything else. It was the type of place you came to hang out, not for the thrill of huge rides because, unfortunately, there weren't any.

The entrance gate stood a few hundred feet away, the rides and games planted behind it. Cheery employees sat perched on stools behind the counter.

There were a few cars parked near ours but I assumed the darker and later it got in the day, more people would show up. It was, after all, a Saturday.

"I can't believe we let him drag us here," Calum sighed once I reached him. I left Michael to deal with the still running car. Luke laughed beside him, but not in agreement.

"I don't know," he shrugged. "It could be fun."

Caroline chimed in after him. "I think it will be!"

"There aren't even any fun rides," Calum pointed out, earning a scowl from Ashton, who seemed to agree with Caroline.

I heard the beep of the car locking, Michael strolling up beside me, swinging the car keys in his hand.

"Calum, quit bitching." he said, making me giggle. Michael's shoulder touched mine as he stood next to me. He hesitantly rested his arm over my shoulders casually. Thankfully, no one seemed to notice, or if they did, they didn't make a big deal out of it. It must've looked purely friendly. His fingers then curled so they held my shoulder, his cologne evident.

We made our way toward the front counter as a group, the glass separating us from the employee. She was a pretty girl, her auburn hair tied into a bun on the back of her head, small wisps framing her face.

"Hello," she beamed. "How many tickets?"

Michael stared for a moment, before replying.

"Um, two for me please," he said and I knitted my eyebrows.

"But-" I held up a finger but he pushed it down with his hand while pulling out money.

"That'll be twenty-two dollars please."

Michael handed her the money in exchange for the tickets. He handed me one with a smile.

"You didn't have to do that," I mumbled. "But thank you."

"Welcome," he grinned, stepping aside so the others could pay.

Once everyone was ready, we stepped through, showing the man the tickets we just bought- or that Michael just bought for me. He nodded with a small smile, letting us move into the park. Stepping through the gate, I was hit with homesickness. It looked exactly like the boardwalk back at home in Ocean City. I used to go all the time with my parents. I liked the change of going with friends, but Ocean City would always be home.

"Are you okay?" Michael nudged me. I snapped out of my thoughts, looking up at him.

"What?" my voice cracked as I spoke.

"Are you okay?" he repeated, looking more worried than before. His eyes slanted, sparkling with an emotion I couldn't determine.

"Oh," I pulled out a smile just for him. "Yeah, I'm good."

Michael didn't seem convinced, but I pushed away the memories from back home. I wouldn't mind going back just for a visit, I thought.

After I got my mind away from previous thoughts the six of us walked together, a small blob in the almost empty park. We agreed to get food first, giving more people time to get here. It was like a party. The more people, the more fun it was.