chapter 5

"D'accord etudiants, put all your things away. Quiz time," Madame Ambois announced.

Hailey and I put our textbooks away and pulled out a pencil. I looked to my left to the seat that should have been occupied by Skylar, but she was a no-show

"Where's Skylar, she should be here. We prepped for this last night, she's ready," I told Hailey, tapping my pencil nervously against the table.

"Are you really surprised? She barely comes to class. Don't stress yourself out about it, it's not your problem".

She was right, but I still felt disappointed that she wasn't here. We worked so hard and she was prepared for this, yet she flaked.

As Madame Ambois walked around handing out papers, I heard the door click open, revealing Skylar.

"So you decided to join us after all, Mrs. James," Madame Ambois said.

"Sorry I'm late, traffic was crazy," Skylar responded, taking her seat next to me.

"You walk to school," I whispered to her.

"She doesn't know that," she whispered back, "If only my hot neighbor had offered me a ride again, maybe I wouldn't have been late".

I smiled to myself at her words.

"Quiet everyone, quizzes are out. You may begin, hand it in when you're done and find something quiet to do," Madame Ambois announced.

I was only halfway through the quiz when I heard the chair next to me squeak as Skylar pushed her chair back, walking over to Madame's desk. She handed the sheet of paper to Madame and sat back down.

"You're done already?," I whispered.

"Shh finish your quiz," she said, pulling her phone out from her pocket.

I go back to my paper and try to focus.  After a few minutes, I look to see her playing Candy Crush. "Really? You gave your quiz in early to play Candy Crush?," I asked.

"You better finish you're quiz because I'm wayyy ahead of you," she smiled, not taking her eyes off the screen.

Her smile gave me such a content feeling for some reason, and I could feel my heart begin to race.

I shook my head and tried again to focus my attention back on my quiz.

...

"Cara, hey wait up," I heard Dylan's voice behind me as I'm walking to lunch with the girls.

"Hey, you," I said with my best fake enthusiastic voice, stopping and waiting for him to catch up to me.

Once he does, he greeted me with a quick peck on the lips.

"You didn't forget about my party tonight, right?" he asked, grasping my hand as we continue walking down the hall.

"Of course not. How couldn't I forget. I'll be there for sure. The girls will too, right guys?," I asked them, and they replied with a nod.

"Alright, dope. Maybe we could find some alone time sometime tonight and continue our talk?" he suggested.

"Sounds great, we have to run. We'll see you tonight, bye!".

I sped off down the hall, the girls catch up to me quick.

"Smooth," Jess said, shaking her head in disapproval.

I ignored her comment. It was hard knowing even my best friend thought I was a freak who didn't want a boyfriend, but it was a reality I had to live with.