chapter 1

"What the hell are these?," I heard my father's deep voice echo into my room from downstairs.

I could hear a loud thumping crack the hardwood floors as he stomped across the house.

I opened my door a crack so that I could hear what was happening downstairs clearly. My dad had gone out drinking, clearly. It had become a new pastime he had indulged in since last year, but he had been going every day for the past few months, and every night he seemed to come home more drunk than the day before.

"Didn't I tell you to mail these this morning? What are they still doing here?," He yelled, surely at my mother, who I recalled was cooking dinner in the kitchen before the lunatic came home.

There was a few seconds of lingering silence before I realized my mother was too scared to answer him. "Answer me," he demanded, "what are you, mute? Stupid? Huh!?".

I treaded lightly down the stairs, careful so that I wouldn't make a sound. Ricky, my twin brother, followed me shortly. We sat, side by side, at the bottom of the steps, where we could get a distant view of the commotion.

"I had work today, John. I just got home," she whispered so quietly it was barely audible.

"This is fucking ridiculous. I asked you to do one fucking thing and you can't even do that!." his hand slammed against the granite counter, making a loud sound that made me jump.

"Do you think your job is more important than mine? Is that what you're trying to say? These contracts should have been mailed out today!," He yelled, grabbing her shoulders and pulling her away from the stove where she was cooking.

That's when Ricky stood up, ready to intervene without hesitation. I grabbed his arm in protest, knowing my dad wouldn't hold back in this state, even with Ricky. My attempt failed, and he shook off my hand and walked right into the kitchen.

"Dad, cmon. It was a mistake, I can go run to the post office right now if you want?" he suggested, placing a hand on my dad's shoulder.

But when my dad looked up to Ricky, he was already overcome with anger. I doubt he barely heard what Ricky had said, only fixated on Ricky's hand on him.

And, when his fist collided with Ricky's face, I knew he was too far gone, and things would never be the same.

"ding!"

As my eyes flickered open, I was struck with a small, bright light coming from my nightstand. The screen on my phone was glowing. I picked it up to see that I had received a text from my best friend, Jess. I glanced over at my alarm clock, which had "1:37 am" illuminated across the screen.

Why the hell was she texting me right now?

My loud ringtone erupted from my phone and I jumped, clicking every button possible in an attempt to turn off the sound so I didn't wake my mom. Once the sound was finally muted, I saw that it was Jess that was calling me. She tended to do that if I didn't answer her texts fast enough.

"Can I help you?," I whispered nastily, still annoyed that she had woken me up in the middle of the night.

"Woah there pissy bitch. I'm sorry for waking you. It's Friday night, why the fuck are you sleeping so early?".

"Early? Jess, are you okay? Its almost 2 am".

"Get dressed and get your ass over here. There's a party," she yelled over screaming voices and loud music in the background.

"I can't, I'm working a double tomorrow".

"Live a little, Cara. You work every Saturday and you study all day Sunday, so Friday is the only day we get to hang out all together. C'mon, you used to be soo fun," she begged. I could just imagine her infamous pout through the phone.