chapter 8

Sunday came and went. Jess was practically glued to my side ever since I had told her the big news. She cried an excessive amount. It wasn't because she was upset. She was being overwhelmingly supportive. But because she was offended I didn't tell her. She took it very personally, to say the least.

She rambled on and on about how she had been a bad friend who I thought I couldn't confide in, and as many times as I tried to convince her that it wasn't the case, she would not budge.

I had her promise not to tell Courtney and Hailey, which was going to be difficult for her, due to her inherent inability to keep anything to herself, but she agreed.

Today was Monday and I was in my usual morning spot: the library. I was doing some last-minute revisions for my psych test when Skylar decided to join me.

"I need you to tutor me again," she said.

"I thought you were a 'french genius'," I smirked, my eyes still glued to my book.

"C'mon, don't be fresh. Pleaseeee" she begged.

"No," I replied, still not looking away from my book, "I thought that was only going to be a one-time thing?".

Truthfully, I just didn't want to be around her. I was attracted to her and that scared the hell out of me. I had never experienced this before, I didn't know how to act around her. I hated the way she made my stomach turn. Or how I could barely breathe when she was close to me. I hated everything about how she made me feel. But she was unavoidable, and I had to start learning how to live with my crush.

"Well, change of plans. Come on, Car. You said we were friends. Help a friend out".

"Fine. My house, 7 pm. Don't be late this time," I gave in.

"Sweet, thanks Pierce," she smiled.

She placed her hand on my knee and gave it a playful squeeze. My breath got caught in my throat in response to the gesture, her touch sending shivers up my spine. She smiled, standing up from her seat, and headed toward the exit.

...

"I hate Mondays," Courtney groaned, placing her tray of cafeteria food onto the lunch table.

"Can we please plan something fun for this weekend?," Jess asked.

It was Columbus day weekend, so we had Monday off from school. I was happy to get a break from everything.

"Yes please," Courtney agreed.

"Guys. We should go to my beach house on Santa Rosa Beach for the long weekend!," Hailey suggested.

Hailey's family is rich rich. Her dad founded some banking software or something. I don't really know exactly what he does, to be honest, I don't think Hailey does either. All I know is, he brings in a lot of money.

"I'm so down," Jess said.

"Yeah me too," Courtney agreed.

"I have to work Saturday," I told them.

"Car, you haven't taken a day off in over a year. C'mon, just this once," Jess begged.

"Okay, okay I'm in," I gave in.

"What about you, Sky?" Hailey asked.

"Yeah sure I'm in," she smiled.

"Omg so fun. We'll leave Friday after school. I'm so excited!" Hailey cheered.

...

It was around 6:55 pm.

I was sitting in my bed watching netflix while I waited for Skylar.