chapter 4

Today was Tuesday and I was sitting with Jess in chemistry class.

We were in the middle of an Acid-base titration lab when I received a notification on my phone.

I clicked the message to see a text from a random number, "Need help with this stupid French quiz tomorrow. I'll be at urs at 8 (;".

So I guess Skylar had found my phone number.

"Who was that?" Jess asked.

"Skylar, I guess I'm tutoring her for our French quiz tonight".

"Aw look at you being all civil," she smiled, causing me to glare at her.

"So, how's Dylan?" she asked, pouring the solution into the flask.

I shrugged, "I don't know".

And I don't really care.

"God, Cara. I just don't get you sometimes," she sighed.
...

Lunch came around soon and we all met at the usual spot. Skylar was missing, which seemed to be a recurring theme.

"Where's Skylar?" Courtney asked.

"I don't know, she skips class a lot".

"So Cara, are you going to the game today?" Hailey changed the subject.

"What game?".

"Varsity soccer. Ricky's playing, I thought we should go together".

"Why? Soccer is boring," I asked, taking a bite out of my apple.

"Yeah but looking at soccer guys isn't," she smiled.

"Yeah, Hailey already has her eyes on one, Ricky," Courtney revealed and I nearly choked on my apple.

"Ew Hailey, my brother? You could do so much better," I exclaimed.

"He's so so sweet AND super cute AND-," she started but I cut her off.

"Ew no, you know what, that's fine spare me the details. He likes you too. He has ever since middle school. So, shoot your shot," I explained and she smiled in utter content.

"So you'll come with me?".

"Can't. I'm being forced by you people to tutor Skylar for our French quiz tomorrow".

"We are not forcing you," Jess said.

"Don't lie, y'all gave me that look".

"Whaaat? Us, a look? Psh, no," they all sarcastically say in unison.

"So what happened with Dylan last week? You never told us," Hailey asked.

"Nothing, he had to leave early. Hey, are those Dippin dots in the lunch line?" I asked, trying to shift the topic of the conversation from my love life.

"Hey, don't change the subject," Courtney catches me, "I mean what's so bad about him? Is he bad in bed? Does his breath smell?".

"Not like she would know, she'll barely kiss him," Jess rolled her eyes.

This is the last conversation I wanted to have. I didn't understand why it was so important for teenage girls to have a boyfriend. It's what they aspired to have. It was easy for me to get one, but I don't want one. I hardly understood why, but my friends were even more confused with the concept.

"No he smells fine and I'm sure he's great in bed, but I told you guys I'm just not looking for anything serious right now", I explained, although I knew they wouldn't buy it.

"I don't get it," they all said while shaking their heads.

...

I was doing homework in my room, waiting for Skylar to show up.