Chapter 8 - Just Playground Talk

*Beth's Point Of View*

"Beth, honey, can I talk to you?" My mum called from downstairs.

It'd been an hour after Harry left, and I was trying to sleep.

"Coming," I groaned.

I took the stairs one at a time, going as slow as I could. Pausing on the landing, I pulled my sweatshirt sleeve down as far as it could go, then continued down into the kitchen.

"Sit down," she gestured to the seat across from her at the table.

I did as I was told and plopped down on the wooden chair. "What's up?"

"I'm worried about you." She told me.

"What're you worried about?" I pushed a lock of hair behind my ear.

"You haven't been eating much. Is there anything you need to tell me?" My mum leaned forward.

"No... And I eat all the time. I just had soup a little bit ago," I rolled my eyes. (I'd actually dumped it down the drain).

"Did you throw it up?" She pushed.

Had Harry told her?

"Ewh, of course not!" I scrunched up my face, trying to look disgusted.

What was her problem?

"Okay," She leaned back. "Are you upset about anything?"

"Er... No? Why do you think these things? I'm fine!" I stood up.

I knew that every word that was coming out of my mouth was complete and utter bull shit, but hey, it was either bull shit or being fat in a straightjacket.

"I'm just concerned, Beth!" She stood, too, and moved closer to me to put her arms around me.

"Don't be," I pushed her away.

"Bethany, what is going on with you?" She was beginning to sound exasperated.

"Nothing! Just leave me alone!" I screeched. I ran out the front door and into the rain.

Looking back on it, I probably over reacted, but I was all 'caught up in the moment'.

I ran and ran for miles, not stopping until I reached the empty primary school play ground.

There was the tunnel-thing, that connected the monkey bars and the bouncy bridge. I crawled in there without even thinking. This was where I always went when I was upset or just had to get out of the house. For example, now. I checked my pocket for my phone, only to realize that I'd left in on the kitchen table.

Whatever.

I stayed there for an hour, maybe more. I was on the brink of sleep and being out of tears when I heard someone nearby. I curled into an even tighter ball, hoping I'd just turn invisible.

"Beth?"

It was Harry.

Shit.

He was the only one who knew I always came here.

"Bethy?" He called.

Harry poked his head into the slide, realized I was there, and crawled in next to me.

"Hi," He grinned at me cheekily.

"Hi," I mumbled.

"Why're you here?" Harry put a hand on my shoulder.

"I like playgrounds." I shrugged.

"You like playgrounds when you're upset," He pointed out.

It was the truth. I only liked playgrounds when I was upset or when they were empty, and the two normally went hand in hand.