Replacement

Wednesday
February

Auto and Puck lived in a trailer that was standing in a crowded trailer park. It wasn't big but just big enough to host a small bedroom with two beds, a kitchen and a small living room. There was a small room with a toilet, a sink and a shower in the trailer as well as running water which was nice but they also had a big water drum with a tap at the bottom standing outside the trailer on a small table. I didn't want to ask why, it felt rude. I could only assume that they ran out of water sometimes. When they asked if I wanted to swing by their place I had curiously said yes. Because of Kieran's rumours, I had been expecting something shitty but I never imagined they'd be living alone in a trailer.

"Where are your parents?" I sheepishly asked and sat down on the couch.

"They're in prison..." Puck mumbled. "They were charged with killing mom's boyfriend..."

A knot tied in my stomach. I couldn't believe I had asked such an insensitive question. "I'm sorry..." I stuttered.

"Why are you sorry? They were assholes... I hope someone kills them..." Auto mumbled and sat down next to me.

"Auto!" Puck hissed.

"As if you don't want them to die..." She growled at him. The twins stared at each other for a second or two as if they were having a silent conversation. I was a lot like them, all three of us grew up with abusive parents who ended up in jail. All three of us put on a tough face to protect ourselves. All three of us were major outcasts. I liked them, they were cool people. Puck wandered over to the worn down armchair and sunk down into its tired cushion. The springs creaked and tapped loudly inside the chair which Puck seemed to completely ignore. It was probably something that always happened. A gloomy feeling lingered in the trailer. There were odd stains on the carpet and walls as well as an obvious bullet hole in the wall. Other than the old signs of violence the trailer looked like any other old trailer would. Worn down, cheap, slightly water damaged and quite dirty. There were definite signs of moulding on the walls and ceiling but it didn't smell. The air in the trailer felt ever so slightly damp and thick. Not a hit thick but a dirt thick. It actually kind of smelled like dirt in the trailer and a spider crawled in the upper corner of one of the walls. I never cared for bugs, they didn't bother me. I honestly didn't care much about living conditions which was a bit strange. When my mom was too drunk and angry I sometimes slept in the garden under the apple tree with a jacket as my only cover.

"Hey Max..." Auto mumbled. Her short hair tickled my neck when she leaned closer, carefully placing her head on my shoulder. "Is it wrong to miss someone who hurt you?"

Her question caught me off guard. "Well I... uh..." I stuttered. My mom came to my mind. The few times she'd been gentle. I loved her. I missed her. Now that I thought about it everything felt strange. I loved my mother. I unconditionally loved her more than life. She might've hated me but there was always that spark of regret in her eyes whenever she hurt me. She didn't give me up for adoption which meant that she cared at one point, right? A faint pain stung over my stomach. I put my hand over the deep scar and sighed. "I don't... know..."

...
"I'm home!" I said as I closed the door behind me. Cheryl and Christian's cars were both in the driveway and soon after I limped through the door Cheryl embraced me. Her hair smelt of lavender.

"Is Kieran not with you?" She asked as she stroke my cheek.

"I think he's hanging out with some friends..."

"Oh... alright..." Cheryl looked somewhat concerned. Had he not told his parents that he was going out? Christian creeped out of the kitchen holding a phone.