Chapter 10

Chapter Ten:

Inside the house is not my uncle Eddie, but inside is my mum having... fun? She's playing with Toni, my uncles dog, while singing. She looks so happy. So what's the problem?

"Linda" Daddy calls to her.

She looks towards the sound of his voice and puts both hands over her mouth.

"Eric!" she runs over an wraps her arms around his neck. "I've missed you so much!"

Wow. Another human being not acknowledging my presence. Nice. Mom finally looks my way and hugs me. It's about time someone, besides Andrew, noticed me!

"I've missed you too Marissa!"

"What's going on mom? Where's uncle Eddie?"

"Oh, he's cooking in the kitchen."

"I'm suppose to rescue you and you're over here eating with the enemy? Just great." daddy basically shouts.

"Eric, calm down. He won't hurt me"

"You want me to calm down when I'm inside my evil brothers house? Do you know how long he's hated me? Well since he's the oldest I'd have to say about my whole life! He's the reason you're here and you want me to calm down?! C'mon Linda, we're leaving." he grabs mums arm and pulls her towards the door.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't my little brother. Long time no see." I hear uncle Eddies voice behind us.

"Hello, Edward"

"How about you stay for dinner? We're having chopped steak. Your favorite" uncle Eddie says.

That is daddy's favorite. If he hates dad so much why would he remember anything about him? What is going on?

"No, that's okay we were just leaving"

"Y'all can leave but Linda stays." uncle Ed argues.

"No, she's coming with us" dad says sternly.

Uncle Eddie catches daddy off guard and pulls mums arm. She spins around and into uncle Eddies arms. He puts his arm around mums waist and pulls her closer to him, holding her tight in place.

"Linda. Stays."

You would think that mum would tell him no but instead she doesn't say a word. Now I am really confused. What the heck is happening here?"

"Mum? C'mon!" I know I was told not to speak but I cannot see my mother in the monsters arms while she doesn't say a word.

She stays put.

"Are you really gonna trade me for this looney? You're choosing him over your husband, the one you've known for over 30 years! Really Linda?" Daddy seems angry now, but deep down I know he is hurt.

I see her tear up a little. She hates it when dad yells. Maybe that's why she's staying. So she can get away from all his loudness.

"Okay, if that's what you want, then fine. You may stay but once I leave Linda, I'm not gonna come back. So, I am going to ask you this one more time. Are. You. Going. To. Come. With. Us?" Dad's voice goes into a whisper.

She looks at daddy, then at me and then at uncle Eddie. He gives her a look and she looks down. Daddy sighs. Why did she do that? What is going on between uncle Ediie and mom?

"Fine, Linda. Just so you know. Even though you choose him over me, that doesn't mean I'll stop loving you. I love you no matter what." Dad walks away and motions me to follow him.

"But, Eric!" Mum yells after us.

Dad doesn't stop for one second. He's heard enough and he's hurt. I know he is. And now. I am too. I turn around and follow dad to the car.