Chapter 5 - When the world lost an Icon

Marilyn sat in the kitchen with a bottle of vodka. This was now her life, living in the middle of nowhere with two bratty kids who hated her and a man who spoilt them rotten. She sighed and had another vodka shot.

Why had she given up everything for John F Kennedy? Was she mad? No, it was revenge. Her thoughts drifted back to that night in August 1962 when she apparently committed suicide.

After convincing everyone she was dead, Bobby helped smuggle her out. Then well, the world lost an icon. Now as planned she lived with Jack, in a very boring life.

Was it really worth losing everything? Her fame? Her fortune? She was deep in thought when Jack appeared. “The kids are in bed.” He smiled as he kissed her head.

“Oh good.”

He looked confused. “What do you mean oh good?”

Marilyn hesitated. “I meant they must have been tired after today.”

Jack smiled. “Yeah they were.”

She nodded. “What do you plan on doing tomorrow?”

“I thought I’d bake with Caroline or something, why?”

“Oh I was just wondering.”

“Ok.”

After Jack had gone to bed, Marilyn picked up the phone. She dialled a familiar number. “Hello?” The voice asked.

Marilyn took a deep breath. “Joe.”

“Marilyn?” He spluttered.

She explained everything. He listened shocked. “I’m so sorry Joe, I should have told you.”

“No it’s okay. So what’s wrong?”

“How do you know there’s something wrong?” Marilyn asked nervously.

“Well it must be pretty risky for you to phone me, so I figured something was wrong.” Joe replied.

She broke down in tears. “I….I hate this….I miss you. Jack spends too much time with his kids, they hate me.”

“I’ve missed you too.”

Marilyn smiled. “Can we meet?”

“Of course, how about tomorrow?” Joe asked.

“Great.”

Marilyn hung up and headed to bed. She felt happier.