Fifteen

Arthit's

"P', can I ask you a question?"

I look at Kongpob and when I see that he has an unsure look, I pull him towards the couch to sit beside me. "Shoot."

"How did you..." He pauses and breathes a sigh so I pull his head to lean on my shoulder and proceeds to caress the side of his head as I give him kisses on his forehead to let him know that I'm okay with whatever he wants to know about my life.

"You can ask me anything, Kong." He smiles and leans to me closer, almost sitting on my lap.

"How did your Mae know... about you know, your Por's infidelity?"

"Actually, it's me who knew it first."

I can feel from the way how his body suddenly becomes stiff, he probably feels sorry for me. "It must have been awful."

"It was... is... You in for a long story?"

"Sure."

(Flashback)

You take a deep breath
And you walk through the doors
It's the morning of your very first day
You say hi to your friends you ain't seen in awhile
Try and stay out of everybody's way

Growing up, I didn't want anyone's attention solely on me, I was a loner, I wanted to be with myself alone, doing things on my own, I'm practically wired to be independent and I liked it that way but I wasn't turning my life easier, not with my achievements and especially not when I was enrolled in a university for an undergrad course when I was barely 13. I wasn't the youngest to have done that, per se, but for most people, it was unbelievable how a teenager like me could even be block mates- let alone - topple those smarty-pants ways older than me or be the top achiever for that matter.

So although I didn't want to attract any attention to me, obviously, I was the talk of the town.

It was hard, at first, I was bullied and shamed for being 'too smart' for my own good, I didn't want to go to the university anymore but I know it would break my poor mother's heart when I stopped so I continued my education despite all the incessant teases I'd received.

Eventually, it all stopped when Namtan and Jay, two of the most influential people at the uni, befriended me.

The third-year was probably the most memorable year of my college days. I was 15. Nam and I were closer than she and Jay. I don't like Nam, it's just that since she's the only person I've been close to since the entirety of my existence and she's like the backup person I need in case I ended up being alone, I chased after her.

Anyway, I confessed to Nam about my 'feelings' and she all but laughed at me and damn I almost fought back and bitched at her. I mean, she had no right to laugh at me. That bitch.

"Goodness Oon, you're so young for me. You don't even have feelings for me. I bet someone like me isn't even your type," She patted my cheek. "You need someone who can tolerate your annoying ass, not be with someone who's as bitch as you are. We are just going to fight. Plus, I only see you as my baby brother."

Going back, I am thankful Nam rejected my stupidity, or I wouldn't be with Kongpob now. Anyway, enough of Nam, she's not important anyway.

As I've said, 15 was the memorable year. It was one of the best (probably next to the year I've met Kong) but it was also the worst.

It was the year I saw with my own eyes that my Por was cheating on my Mae. It was just a normal day, I was not hinted that something like that would happen, that from that day on, my life would change for the worse.