ix. breakdown

Dreams of Zayn's soothing voice, mysterious appearance, enchanting smile, and protective nature flood me as I sleep. When I wake up, to the sound of my stupid alarm, at a time when the sun hasn't even risen yet, I don't want to roll out. It's Louis yelling at me to turn my stupid shit off and to get up that actually motivates me to get up. I know that he will pour ice on me if I don't.

So, here I am, showering, getting dressed, and making myself look prestentable, while I walk around like a zombie. As I leave, Louis gives me a kiss on my cheek, wishing me luck at work. I grab my pre-made salad from his hands, along with a bottle of water, an iced coffee, and a bagel. I shove the water and salad into my over the shoulder bag, then head out the door with my black Vans on my feet.

It's only a five minute drive to work. I clock in, going into the break room to put my stuff into a locker. Someone's already here, so I just take a seat at the table. I have a few minutes until we open up, so I unwrap my bagel, and start to sip my iced coffee.

"Morning, Syd," Jaquelin calls, entering the room. "Sorry. I was just making sure all the registers were set up."

"Morning, Jackie. It's not like we get many people at 10AM," I chuckle.

"How are you feeling? I was texting Lou on my break yesterday and he said you had the flu on Friday," she sighs.

"A lot better. Thanks for coming in. I really appreciated it. I threw up so much."

"I owed you. You do it for me too. I also may have heard about a certain boy."

"Oh my God! Can't Louis just shut up?" I exclaim aloud.

"Zayn, was it? He was saying that you guys were hanging out and are really close."

"Yeah, we are pretty close."

"Also heard he was just as hot as you."

"I think he's a whole lot hotter than I am. He's got this, like, mysterious vibe and attitude, but he's so sweet and fun to talk to and cute. Like, his smile is adorable."

"Aw Sydney. I think he likes you. From what Lou told me, it really seems like he does."

"But I'm me! And he's him! A guy like him is so out of my league!"

She snorts. "Out of your league? Like that's even remotely possible."

"He is. He's, like, so perfect, and I'm, like, just me."

"Good one, Syd. You really are a jokster. Obviously, you're good enough for him, because he wants to spend time with you and come take care of you when you're sick."

"I'm not joking."

"Are you in for lunch with us today?"

"Actually, Zayn asked if I'd come see him at work."

"Why am I not surprised? Let's go open up and sit on our asses until lunch rush."

To our surprise, there is a couple people waiting outside. A few go over to order takeaway, and a few are taken, and spread out by me, the hostess, and sometimes a waitress.

Work goes by surprisingly fast, until my lunch break. I rush out to my car, starting it, and driving to the tattoo parlour. I walk in, with my bag hanging off of my body.

"Hello," the unrecognizable man smiles.

"Hi," I reply.

"Sydney, right? Zayn said you'd be coming in around your lunch break."

"Yeah, I'm Sydney François."

"Oooo, a french girl. I'm Anthony Pujaak. Zayn's boss, coworker, and one of his best friends. Zayn's just got a client right now; he should be done soon. I'll go tell him you're here."