xxxiv. surprise

The bright light filters into Zayn's room, at noon. I squint my eyes, turning my head to look at Zayn, who has tucked his head under his pillow. I go to slip out from underneath him, but he grasps my side tighter, pulling me closer.

Zayn mumbles something incoherent, and muffled by the pillow.

"What was that, birthday boy?" I question.

He pokes his head out, opening one eye. "Do not leave."

"I have to, Zayn. Don't you want your birthday breakfast?"

"No, I want my birthday you. Stay."

"Zayn, I have stuff to do today. I hope you realize I still haven't gotten you a birthday present, 'cause you haven't let me leave your side all week."

"Whatever," he mutters. "Five minutes."

"I need to get up right now, Zayn."

"Jaanu," he mumbles. God, what was that and why was it so cute?

"Hm?"

"Babe, please?"

"Zayn, no."

"C'mon. S'alright. You have lotsa time."

"I'm not giving in."

"Neither am I."

"I guess we'll just fight until you actually wake up."

"Jaanu," he moans again.

"I'm getting up, birthday boy," I sigh, adjusting myself to kiss him on the lips.

He quickly responds, pressing back on my lips, and moving his. His hands rub up and down my sides.

I pull away. "Zayn, I have to get up."

"Whatever," he pouts, loosening his grip on me.

"Not whatever. As much as I love you, and I'd love to stay and cuddle and sleep and kiss and all that, I have things to do. I have to go to the doctors, pick up the mail, grocery shop, and all that good stuff."

"Be back soon, yeah?"

"Of course, honey. Love you lots."

"Like tater tots."

I giggle, pressing one last kiss onto his stubbled jaw. I know that is his favourite place for me to kiss him. He groans from underneath me, a complaint that he's adopted.

I close the opaque blinds, before I quickly get dressed, bringing my overnight bag downstairs with me. Waliyha is in the kitchen, and smiles at me when I come down from his loft.

"Morning," I sigh.

"Is Zayn still sleeping?" she asks.

"Well, he's trying to, yeah. He's exhausted, as always," I shrug.

"What a sleepy baby. I could hear you arguing," she laughs. "He was calling you jaanu, yeah?"

"Yeah, what does it mean?"

"I think that he should tell you that. It's not bad, it's just deep. Something that you should hear from him, 'cause he was calling you it."

I nod. "Well, I have to head out. Gotta go shopping to but groceries and a gift for Zayn. See you later?"

"Yeah, see you later."

I grab a granola bar, shrug my coat on, and go down to my car. I drive to Harry's house first, to meet him and Niall to talk about Zayn's surprise party.