Chapter 12

Rose's POV

I feel like I'm floating in a never-ending abyss of blackness.

"Why do you think she passed out?" I hear Clint's voice ask, with an undertone of slight worry. Wait, was he worried about me, or was he talking about someone else?

"I don't know because Natasha never got to finish her story because Fury decided to have a talk with them about their behavior. I hope he realizes that we are all grown-up adults, well Tony doesn't exactly count but still. Anyways, the last I got was that they were headed to her old orphanage." I hear Bruce respond. I try opening my eyes but they just won't budge.

"Well I hope she's ok. I would hate for her to be hurt." HawkEye says, but more to himself than out-loud.

"Ah, do you actually care for the girl?" Dr. Bruce teases.

"No, I just don't want to have to deal with a messed up Natasha because I know how she cares for her and I also know that when Natasha is distressed, she's pure evil." Clint covers up. I try to open my eyes again and I almost do it. I try one more time, this time using all of my energy and one finally cracks open. The light is blinding but only for a moment. The other eyes quickly copies her sister and I now have both eyes open.

"Hello Rose. How are you feeling?" Dr. Banner asks gently. I look around to find Clint an find him on my right side while Bruce is on my left.

"You don't care about me?" I ask with a raspy, weak, and fragile voice.

"No, I do. I just don't care about you to the extent of the care of Steve or Natasha. They treat you like you're their child, while I care for you as if you were any other agent here." Clint responds.

"Oh. Is it because I wouldn't answer you the first day?" I ask slightly hurt by his answer, but I'm not sure what I expected from this stone-cold assassin.

"A small portion but I just don't really like little kids." Clint says nonchalantly.

"Oh, ok." I say in a bit of a broken whisper. Why do I care so much for his approval?

"So how are you feeling?" Bruce finally speaks up after a moment of tense silence.

"A little tired but normal besides that. Why do you ask?" I answer and question at the same time.

"Well, you've been unconscious for about 45 minutes and it really worried all of us. So would you mind explaining to me what lead up to your unconscious state? Just so I will be able to know what's going on and how to prevent it next time." Bruce asks.

"Um... sure. But wait, where's Natasha?" I ask fully realizing that she wasn't here.

"Oh, um, she had to talk to the Director. So what happened?" He answers, while also trying to steer me clear of that topic. I decide to drop it, just because they covered for me while we were out.

"Well, we went to my orphanage..." I start to say until someone barges into the room.

"OLD orphanage." Tony says as he bursts in.

"What do you mean? If I ever can get off this thing, they will most likely force me there so that way they are able to easily watch me." I say cautiously.

"Well, I - we - were wondering if you would like to come live with us. Oh course..." Steve starts to say but I cut him off with my loud screaming.

"YES YES YES YES!!!!!!" I scream in excitement as I jump up to hug him. It's weird, one minute I was planning on how I could avoid him the rest of my life and now I'm hugging him like nobody'd business. I finally let go and turn to see Natasha finally walk into the room. She looks furious, determined, and slightly broken. My excitement immediately deflates some when I see her forlorn face.