Creative Genius

Inside his bedroom, Miguel was reading a colorful book to his baby sister that he made by hand. It depicted his first adventure in the Land of the Dead that happened two years ago.

They were at the part where Mama Imelda struck Ernesto de la Cruz with her boot

when Socorro giggled adorably.

Miguel smiled warmly at his sister, then at his book to continue reading when Abuelita appeared at the doorway of Miguel's bedroom.

Elena said warmly,"Time for dinner you two."

As Miguel got up from his bed, Abuelita saw Miguel's drawing of Imelda slapping Ernesto. She laughed softly and said,"Imelda was always a feisty one."

Miguel handed his book to his Abuelita who took in all of the details her grandson put into it.

From the watercolor backgrounds to the lively expressions on the faces of her family.

Abuelita said in astonishment,"This is truly something special, mijo. We must put it on the ofrenda."

Miguel nodded happily. He couldn't agree more.

Once he handed Socorro to his mama, Luisa, Miguel quickly took a tamale, and followed his Abuelita to the ofrenda room.

The very first thing Miguel fondly gazed at was the beloved photo of a young Coco, Hector, and Imelda.

As Miguel gently placed his handmade book next to the colored photo of an elderly Coco, Abuelita nodded and said happily,"Your ancestors would be proud of your creativity

As Miguel gently placed his handmade book next to the colored photo of an elderly Coco, Abuelita nodded and said happily,"Your ancestors would be proud of your creativity."

Miguel blushed which caused Abuelita to shower him with kisses.

As he ate the delicious food on his plate, Miguel reflected on how so many things have happened since he sung "Remember Me" to Mama Coco.

Miguel thought about how music bought his family closer together and the fact that his Papa Hector was part of the family once again made his heart sing.

Luisa noticed her son daydreaming. She said in a soft but stern voice,"Mijo, eat your food before it gets cold."

Miguel said in mild embarrassment,"Sorry mama."

As soon as the Rivera family finished their meal, Miguel quickly went outside to see if his ancestors have arrived.

Without warning, Tia Rosita embraced Miguel in a tight but loving hug. She said in delight,"Happy Dia De Los Muertos, mijo!"

Miguel returned the hug.

The rest of the deceased Riveras happily greeted Miguel.

Mama Coco asked her grandson warmly,"What have you been up to Miguel?"

Miguel smiled brightly and said,"I made a book for Socorro! It's on the ofrenda!" He took Coco's hand. "Come on! I'll show you!"

Coco laughed as Miguel guided her to the ofrenda room.

The rest of the deceased Riveras followed close behind.

Rosita said cheerfully,"Miguel! You've got to come to our concert at Plaza De La Crazy!"

Tia Victoria frowned at her aunt. "Rosita... it was supposed to be a surprise."

Miguel's jaw dropped in excitement. "Wait? What?"

Oscar said happily,"We all decided to form a band!"

Felipe added,"And perform at the plaza every week!"

When they all entered the ofrenda room, Imelda said as she looked through Miguel's book,"It was actually Hector's idea..."

When Imelda got to the picture of her slapping De La Cruz, she gasped.

Miguel immediately said nervously,"Mama Imelda! I didn't mean to..."

To Miguel's surprise, Imelda gave her grandson a hug.

She laughed and said,"You really drew that scene well, mijo

She laughed and said,"You really drew that scene well, mijo."

Miguel sighed and said graciously,"Gracias, Mama Imelda."

Suddenly, Abuelita said excitedly,"Mi familia!"

Rosita asked in astonishment,"She can see us?"

When Abuelita got to Imelda, she couldn't help but bow to her.

Elena then said with a great, big smile,"It's an honor to see all of you."

Julio said, his voice full of curiosity,"Thank you Elena but like Rosita said how can you see us?"

Elena chuckled at her papa. "I believe it's because of our love for music."

Felipe quickly added,"Oh, and shoes. Don't forget about shoes."

Imelda smiled at her younger brother.

Suddenly, Dante appeared and used his mouth to pull part of Imelda's purple dress. Imelda noticed this immediately. She bent down to pet Dante on the head and asked lovingly,"What is it Dante?"

Dante nudged his head to the right.

Imelda looked in the same direction, only to gasp at the sight of a little skeleton girl standing outside the ofrenda room. She was wearing a simple, white lace dress. But, what really caught Imelda's attention was the white rose that the little girl had in her hair.

She soon giggled and skipped towards the Mariachi Plaza.

Imelda got back up on her feet and asked herself,"Who was that?"