Reformed

Pepita growled in excruciating pain.

Ernesto was looking up at Pepita or rather his daughter in horror when he noticed Hector and Imelda regaining consciousness.

Without giving it much thought, he grabbed a hold of Hector and Imelda's hands and lead them down a dimly lit alleyway.

Imelda asked Ernesto angrily,"Where are you taking us?"

Hector was frowning at Ernesto as well when he twisted his skull to look at what was behind them. His jaw nearly dropped at the sight of a possessed Pepita!

Ernesto said frantically,"We have to find a place where Dawn would never look to find us!"

Due to the current circumstance, Hector decided to let bygones be bygones by saying as he physically urged Ernesto and Imelda to go left,"This way! Come on!"

Imelda and Ernesto followed Hector into a mysterious part of the Land of the Dead. A place Hector remembered all too well... It was the home of all the skeletons with no photos on an ofrenda or homes to go to.

A trio of elderly woman greeted Hector from a distance. Hector waved at them before turning around just in time to see Imelda point an accusing finger at Ernesto.

"You better have a good excuse for dragging us all the way out here!"

Ernesto slightly backed away at the bitter tone of Imelda's voice.

To Imelda's ultimate surprise, a shameful Ernesto sighed and sat on the rather rickety wooden floor.

"How could I have been so blind? I was so enwrapped in achieving fame that I didn't think it would affect my daughter so negatively." He slowly turned his skull to look at Hector right in the eyes. "My old friend... I'm so sorry for ending your life..."

Hector didn't know how to react.

The very man that selfishly used his songs to become famous and nearly killed Miguel was apologizing...? Hector thought.

A wave of relief soon rushed through Hector's entire skeleton body. He walked on over to Ernesto to give him a hug.

At that moment, Hector could feel a true friendship blossoming.

Imelda smiled. She never thought she would see a reformed Ernesto patching his relationship with her husband.

Suddenly, an adolescent boy could be heard clearing his throat.

Imelda, Hector, and Ernesto turned around just in time to see the boy whisper sternly,"Come inside you guys! Quick! Before Dawn spots you!"

As soon as Ernesto, Imelda, and Hector entered the house, they could hear Pepita's roars ever so slightly.

The boy said in embarrassment,"Heh... sorry for the limited amount of space..."

Ernesto said kindly,"There's no need to apologize young man."

The boy smiled before saying in a dead serious tone,"Listen... I don't have much time to tell you but the only way to help Dawn come back to her senses is to sing her favorite song!"

Ernesto skull shot straight up and said out loud,"The song my wife and I used to sing to her whenever she got upset!" He soon paused in confusion. "Wait... How do you know about my daughter and how to stop her?"

The boy replied as he began to fade,"I... died before our mama could give birth to me..."

As soon as the boy disappeared, a heartbroken Ernesto fell down on his knees and wept.

Imelda bent down and told De La Cruz sternly,"There's no time for tears Ernesto..."

Ernesto quickly wiped the tears away and nodded in agreement.