Sunday surprises

DPOV

"Lissa?"

"Yes Dimitri?"

"Can you please bring some of Rose's clothes over to my room. Oh, and forget a bag."

"Belikov?"

"Bubby's fine. Please. We kinda need to be at that mass."

"True."

Lissa turned up minutes later and Rose was dressed within seconds.

I left with Roza in hand. She was still shaken by what had just happened and I was going to stay by her side. We got stares and ignored them. She had always been mine and I was going to make sure people now knew it. She was my angel- avenging or guardian, it didn't matter which, she was my angel and our family was my salvation.

I kept my hand in hers throughout mass. When communion came I leaned over and whispered into her ear "I love you. Always and forever my angel."

She turned and looked into my eyes, hers filled with so much love, and a million messages flew between us. How I had lucked out and gotten her as my other half was beyond me, it truly was a miracle- she was, we were.

"I've finally learnt my lesson milaya." She knew what I meant and smiled. Pushing her away had always been wrong, and I'd done it innumerable times. "You truly are my saving grace." I placed my hands on the baby bump and smiled. Bubby kicked and fluttered.

"Honestly Dimitri- you're so special. Only you can do that, only you can make that happen."

I grinned "seriously?" Bubby moved again.

"Seriously. You've got a special touch."

The rest of mass passed and I wrapped an arm around Rose's waist as we walked out together.

"Breakfast love?"

She grinned. "Of course! A girl's gotta eat- this one especially." She laughed and it was a beautiful sound.

I took her to my old favourite guardian cafe. I held the door open for her and let her in first, I quickly came up from behind and wrapped my arms around her growing waist, resting my hands over where our unborn baby was developing. I kissed her cheek before returning to her side and leading her to the counter.

One of my old colleagues I got along with well was behind the counter- Guardian Allan Schaffe.

"Hey Schaffe."

"Hey Belikov." He turned to Rose. "How's our junior Janine?"

"Allan! You know I hate being referred to as my mother's daughter." She shook her head in exasperation.

"Fine zmey junior then!" Schaffe returned and Rose paled.

"That's worse." She groaned.

"Roza? What does he mean by 'zmey junior'?" I remembered her telling me Abe Mazur had been tailing her around Baia. "What was he doing tailing you around Russia?"

"My mother rang him when I dropped out. He just wanted me back in the States- back on track to become a Guardian."

"Junior though?"

"Oh! I haven't told you yet, he's my, hmm, old man. My father."

Now I paled at that. "No. No way." I shook my head. "Janine Hathaway and Abe Mazur together? Impossible. Anyway, Abe doesn't have a daughter- the whole world would know if he did."

"Comrade!" She laughed. "That's what I thought when I found out. I was kept a secret- another reason Mom left me at the academy. It was to keep me safe. It worked, well, sorta. Now everyone knows. They're awfully chummy again, I really hope they don't have another kid. One Hathaway-Mazur is dangerous enough."